Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:31 PM   #1

Default I need your expertise! Animal photos...

I need a camera to shoot photos of animals for adoption.

My two "must haves" are FAST shooting and a rotating LCD (this allows me to trick them into thinking I am not concentrating on them). A third thing that would be great is quality in low light.

I am hoping not to spend more than $400. The photos will mainly be used on the web, so they don't have to be amazing quality. Also, I don't fiddle with settings very much, so a lot of manual options isn't needed.

Thank you for any help you can give me!
Binello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:08 PM   #2

I think Im on the right track? I am looking at the Panny FZ150 and the Cybershot HX200 - except the Sony only has a tilting lens which I think is a deal breaker for me. I am just worried that the Panny is more camera than I really need and it is also busting my budget. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:08 AM   #3

no small sensor camera is going to be great in low light, and that includes the fz150. still, it did as well as or better than others. to get the most out of a smaller sensor camera in low light does take some knowledge or a tripod. otherwise i found it a very good camera in its class, and can be used in program or auto if you don't want to learn all the stuff.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:17 AM   #4

Well the low light thing is low on my list (more a "party in the back" if I can get it but "business in the front" is what matters).. I am more concerned with speed as the dogs and cats move so quickly and ofc the vari-angle lcd.

Again because these are my 2 main requirements, I worry I may overpay for bells and whistles I don't need. We are non-profit afterall.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:22 AM   #5

If you're looking at a "bridge" camera- and speed is high up on the priority list,then the FZ-150 would be my choice.
It offers fast burst modes and speedy autofocus for its class.
I wonder,if a big zoom is not a requirement,would the Panasonic G2 be worth considering..?
It would be better in low light than any bridge camera,still has the vari-angle LCD- and having been superseded by the G3,should fall well into your budget...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:46 PM   #6

The G2 is selling on Amazon for almost $800, so that's definatley a budget buster. What are your thoughts on the Canon G12 in comparison to the FZ150?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:44 PM   #7

Blimey Binello... $800...!!!
I can get a refurb with kit lens and 12 months warranty for 250 in the UK... or a brand new 16mp G3 for 370- WITH 50 cashback..!!
The G12's a nice camera- well built and designed with a photographer in mind...
I would say the G12's overall IQ is higher than that of the FZ'- though not by a huge amount. The Nikon P7100 is another camera in the G12's mould (and indeed shares the same sensor)- though the Nikon has a larger zoom range and much better video capture.
Curiously- you could argue a case for Canon's own S100 against the G12- with arguably better high iso performance,a video mode you CAN use the optical zoom with and still has all the manual modes should you wish,not forgetting the fast f/2.0 lens at wide angle- which will help in low light work.... and all in a package which is about half the size/weight of the G12... though shame about the fixed LCD....

Last edited by SIMON40; Aug 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote