Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Default FZ150 or HS30EXR?

Hi all, noob poster here.

going on hols in a couple months and i'm wanting to get a good bridge. i've trawled loads of stuff and review sites, and i think i'm down to the above mentioned cameras. i'm going to vegas and related national parks, so there's be a ton of landcapey stuff and i'm hoping to try night sky pics at monument valley ~ tho i realise by their very nature a bridge isn't the best option for this, it's the only budget i have.

far as i can tall, the Panny's top for IQ etc, the downside is the price, and things like extra batteries are a bit silly too.

any opinions, thoughts or other suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

TIA.
killerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:07 PM   #2

My two cents. I use the FZ150 and find its ease of use, high ISO, small size and continous shooting modes puts it ahead of the Fuji. The Fuji, however, has a mechanical zoom and a vast array of modes for many shooting situations including improving high ISO shots.

If size matters, go with the FZ150. There would be a much steeper learning curve with the Fuji, but once learned has the potential for good shooting.

Check out this link to Amazon customer reviews for a discussion of shutter speed limits for the Fuji. Don't know how it applies as the writer doesn't specify what modes he is in. http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FineP...owViewpoints=0

Note that niether of these cameras is a DSLR and will not give you that range of shooting options.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:29 PM   #3

Hi Killerwolf...
With regards landscapes and such like,either should be fine- even the night shots if you use low iso settings and longer exposures.
In my humble opinion,the Panny offers finer detail in its shots,with seemingly less noise reduction being applied- which might prove beneficial if you will be making large prints.
The Panny' offers faster autofocus and much better video capture also.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:42 AM   #4

thanks very much for the replies.

seems the Panny's the one to go for, despite the cost. i was hoping the FZ200 might come out soon because usually previous models drop a little in price, other than that i'll just have to grit my teeth and pay up, lol.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:13 AM   #5

Actually- the FZ200 has literally just come out,this weekend...!
So you might get lucky....!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:31 AM   #6

the fz150 is a great camera - the fz200 is yet untested by users. if you're going on a holiday, having a camera that's well known and liked might be a big plus.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:27 AM   #7

thanks for the info. good point too about an established product over a new one. got a few weeks, i'll keep looking in the hopes the prices start to drop.