Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:27 PM   #1

Default recommendation for new compact camera

Hello guys!

So I'm looking for a new compact camera for me and my gf and I haven't got a clue which one would be the best for us.
We're no photographers so as long as the picture quality is 'good', we'll be happy, I don't expect DSLR quality out of it.
Things I absolutely want it to have is fast reaction time - so no noticeable shutter lag between pushing the button and the picture actually taken. Further I want at least 5x zoom ( only optical off course, digital zoom is no zoom imho ). I want the camera to be able to display the pictures without always the lens coming out. I like to have a user-friendly ui so that my gf can change settings without bothering me, but if it's a little more complex I could live with it, then I'll take charge of the settings

I've been looking at sony DSC W620 and W630, but somewhere I read that so cameras in this category aren't the best ones so I've been looking for better alternatives ending up asking i here. I've also considered the nikon coolpix S2600 but I read in a review that it's not possible with the S2600 to playback the taken pictures without the lens coming out so I ruled this one and all other nikons out. What I also considered was a samsung ST77, but there where mentions of a nasty shutter lag which would also rule this one out.

As a result I hope you guys can give me some advice as to what brand and possibly what model of camera's are best suited to my needs.

A quick list of my must-haves and nice-to-haves:

Must haves:
  • price: 80 ~ 100
  • fast shutter time ( no noticeable shutter lag )
  • 5x optical zoom or higher
  • playback functionality without the need of opening the lens ( rules out nikon coolpix S2600)
  • good image quality in daylight
  • 'acceptable' image quality & noise in low lighting situations ( willing to compromise on this point )
  • optical (mechanical) image stabiliser ( <> digital/software )
  • 14MP

Nice to have's:
  • fast startup
  • userfriendly and logical ui
  • great image quality in daylight
  • great image quality in low lighting situations
  • video recording in 1080p ( as all the camera's seem to have at least 720p in this category)
  • 16 MP or higher

A lot of thanks in advance!!

So far in considerance: (feel free to add pro and cons for these )

Panasonic DMC FS-45
Pro's:
  • slightly better quality lenses (diafragma/wide angle)
  • bigger screen
Cons:
  • slightly higher price

Sony DSC-W630
Pro's:
  • slightly higher maximum focal lenght
  • slightly cheaper
Cons:
  • slightly less quality lenses (diafragma/wide angle)

Panasonic DMC FS-40
Pro's:
  • cheaper
  • same lenses as FS-45
Cons:
  • less macro functionality
  • smaller screen
  • no AF tracking functionality

Last edited by toonvl; Aug 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM.
toonvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:04 PM   #2

Panasonic's FS-45 has 16mp,a 5x optical zoom- starting at a wide 24mm- and a bright f/2.5 lens also,HD video recording,Image stabiliser,simple "iA" mode for no nonsense "point and shoot" types and in Panasonic's own words "High speed response featuring sonic speed autofocus..."
Oh- it also has a switch- which if you leave it in the "playback" mode, the lens will not come out when switching on...!
Prices vary- but you should be able to get it somewhere near your budget.
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...trackInfo=true
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip! Seems right in the ballpark feature wise, it's just a little over my budget. Just a little more expensive then the sony, but then again, the sony also went over my budget.

Could you perhaps give me some points on why I should choose the panasonic over the sony?

I'm still hoping to find a model slightly cheaper while not compromising too much, if not, it'll be one of these two. ( I've added my current choices in the top post )
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:55 PM   #4

With regards the Sony- I'd ditch the 620 simply because of the lack of an image stabiliser- which I believe the 630 has. The 630 also has a wider lens than the 620 25mm to 28mm- though of course you do lose a little at the long end.
As to the Panny' or the Sony... I don't think there would be much in it- besides,at their price points I'm sure both would be adequate- I was merely offering an alternative to those you already suggested- and Panasonic's do seem VERY popular.
You might want to pop over to the Panny' "point and shoot" forum and see if there are any users of the FS-45 who could give an opinion.

P.S- I actually didn't notice the FS-45 was one of YOUR earlier choices...!!

Another to look at- Canon's A2400 IS....

Last edited by SIMON40; Aug 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:42 PM   #5

Hi Simon,

Don't go procrastinating yourself, I added the FS-45 in an edit AFTER your pointer

It seems to be coming down to the FS-45. As the FS-45 is only 5€ more expensive as the sony, but seems to have a few extra options which make extra bucks premium worth it.

I have been considering the FS-40 as well, as this one is 20€ less expensive, but off course the FS-45 has some extra options like 2MP extra, a bigger screen, macro focus options and AF tracking, but apparently the same lenses as the lens specs are completely the same.

I haven't really considered the canon as this one seemed relatively the same as the sony spec wise and isn't available in the store I would like to pick the camera up ( I'm not choosing for a web shop to facilitate the warranty process in the hopefully unlikely event there's something wrong with the camera)

So tomorrow probably going to buy the FS-45

Probably going for the FS-45
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:57 PM   #6

It's good you're going to get "touchy feely" with it first- always a good option where possible- unlike online purchases.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:03 PM   #7

I got the FS-45 It was still kind of a tough choice for me, being somewhat of a sony fanboy in the past, but the bigger size and better feeling about the trigger button convinced me. I'm still not happy about the plastic covers on some of the ports, but hey you can't have everything right?

I haven't been able to test it yet though, as it is meant to be a present for my gf's birthday which is the 29th. When I have tested here, I'll spill my thoughts on it if I find the time.

Simon, lots of thanks helping me find the right camera
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:17 PM   #8

Even some DSLR's have plastic port covers...lol...
Hope the camera meets your requirements...