Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2012, 4:51 AM   #31

wow, at those prices just for a battery i think Sony might be out of the running.
I like the idea that the Pentax uses AA batteries and that they can be got anywhere quickly and easily and are not expensive. Also seems that lenses are ok too.
Any thoughts?
Koolpc, i will still look at that camera and try it out next time i go into town. I plan on spending a good few hours just looking and feeling cameras and the accessories too. Hoping for a sale/good bargain though before i buy as there is no real hurry.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:34 AM   #32

2nd hand be a good option. MPB (Search Google) are a great company to buy from with really good warrany on 2nd hand, also London Camera Exchange. Look for 40D, 50D or 7D as they are all fast cameras. Got a 40D myself.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:53 AM   #33

Thanks Koolpc, will look into that.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:07 AM   #34

dSLRs are a lot more complex than P&S cameras, with a lot more mechanical moving parts. There's no way to know how much use and abuse a camera has received. I would be hesitant to buy a used dSLR without a warranty of some kind. (That's a warranty, not a guarantee. There's a difference.) Refurbished dSLRs are a good idea though, as they've just been overhauled by someone that knows what he or she is doing, and it comes witha warranty of some kind.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:09 AM   #35

Thanks TCav. Been reading all day and more confussed now.

Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:05 PM   #36

Perhaps you need a upgrade to your FZ38, but you need not go as far as a dSLR. There are some very fine cameras, some of which can use some of the accessories you already have.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:10 PM   #37

Don't stop there TCav, tell me more. I am interested in that, very interested.

Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:04 PM   #38

I just went to the Panasonic website, searched for the model numbers of the accessories you list in your signature, and saw some very interesting cameras that they were compatible with.

For what you're talking about using it for, I'd take a Panasonic bridge camera with a Leica lens over any dSLR with a cheap lens.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:52 AM   #39

Dont be too swayed by the AA battery idea, as most cameras come with a battery and battery charger, plus third party rechargeable batteries IE Hahnel (considerably cheaper than the own brand) seem to last as long as my Nikon and Panasonic.
Also you dont have to keep buying new ones, just stick them on charge for a hour or so.
In the long run replacing AAs must cost more.
Incidently I started digital photography7 yrs ago with my Panasonic FZ7 bridge camera which I still use on holiday for beach shots. It has a good long zoom on it but has shutter lag(the gap between pressing the shutter button and the shot being taken) which makes it difficult for action shots ,the newer ones seem to have mostly solved that.
It has most of the commonly used DSLR features.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:02 AM   #40

One more thing and I dont know what other brands if any have this feature but my D5000 has an ? button, which if you select a feature then press the ? button it will tell you what that feature does.i.e if you select exposure compensation then press the ? button a description of what EX Comp does appears on the LCD.
This greatly impressed a beginner who used my camera recently. Im sure it will be on all the entry level Nikons but check before you buy to make sure if that interests you.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote