Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:59 AM   #41

Many thanks for the replies and help, i appreciate it.
I got the Chance to chat to a photographer today and look at his equipment, canon 3000, i think, and while it looked good i was rapidly put off a DSLR by the amount of equipment he carried around for the different subjects he took.
The conversation was very interesting and informative but, while i am not totally discounting a DSLR now i think i need to seriously think again about it. I will keep looking at reviews and sites etc but wonder if i wouldn't be better off just keeping the Panny fz35 that i have and maybe just buying a small camera to carry around with me all the time so i don't miss any shots.
That said it now means i have to look at reviews of pocket cameras with a long lens, 20 optical, that takes really good crisp clear fast shots - any ideas on that?
I still would like a DSLR and still may get one but do i really need one? no, is the weight too much for me? yes, is it going to cost a fortune to keep adding lenses etc? probably, can i make a living from it to recoup the costs? no.
All this information is very helpful and i have no doubt it is helping others too who read this thread so it won't be wasted, they never are.
So keep the info coming and again my thanks for all the help past and present.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:21 PM   #42

Compact with zoom- Panasonic TZ20 or 30,Sony HX10/20/30v,Canon SX240/260hs.
All the above are worth looking into if you need manual manipulation- however,many more options available if basic "auto" point and shoot is adequate.
For speed- it's a straight fight between the Panasonic and the Sony's.... with both offering fast autofocus and burst modes....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:25 PM   #43

Thanks Simon, is there much in it between the Panny and the Sony for speed, clarity of images and zoom range etc?
Thanks Simon
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:29 PM   #44

Quality of shots from a DSLR is what i like. You dont need to carry tons of equipment either. A good body and a good lens, depending on what you shoot is all that is needed.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:30 PM   #45

I hear that the kit lens does a lot of jobs, is that right? I really don't want to carry or buy a load of lenses.

Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:50 PM   #46

Here's some timings for the TZ25 and TZ30.... just scroll down the page...
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pa...m-review-19048

And Sony's HX20v...
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/so...a-review-19147

And the HX10v timings...
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/so...m-review-19511

All very swift by compact standards.
The TZ30 and the Sony HX20/30v both have 20x zooms (25-500mm).
The TZ25 offering 16x (24-384mm).
Sony's HX10v also at 16x (24-384mm).

I personally think the Panasonic's are slightly better in the IQ department- but you have to go looking for it (zooming in) and would not be noticeable in standard sized prints.
The Sony's do have some nice features on board- whereas the Panny's have Aperture and Shutter priority on board,unlike the Sony.
But as walkabout,convenient,"do it all" compacts,they all do a great job given the price.

With regards DSLR kit lenses- you're basically limited by their focal range on offer.
Most give you the equivalent of roughly 27-85mm range,which is fine as a "walk around town" lens. They're also ok as a landscape lens as 27mm or so is reasonably wide.
They're not ideal for low light work,due to the reasonably slow apertures- usually coming in at around f/3.5 wide open and f/5.6 zoomed in, though fine for static subjects of course utilising longer exposures.
Some are actually reasonable at macro work- my old Canon 18-55 IS lens focuses pretty close,both at wide and zoomed.
If however,you want to get close to subjects,without moving close- be it for convenience or stealth- another lens will be needed.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:30 AM   #47

you can get an 18-135mm stabilized kit lens, which is pretty nice, or even get one of the 18-200mm lenses. while they aren't as contrasty and sharp as a higher end lens, they'll shoot better quality pics than a megazoom. i have nothing against the 18-55mm kit lenses except that i prefer more zoom.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:29 AM   #48

Thanks Simon and pcake, i appreciate your knowledge and help.
I will read with interest as always the links you sent Simon.
Pcake, i like long zoom too so with the kit lens, from what Simon says, and a zoom lens i would be pretty much set. would you agree?

Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:46 AM   #49

Getting a dSLR has it's advantages, but it's also expensive. You should know that if you choose that route, you'll spend a lot more than the 300-350 that you said you wanted to spend. And whatever dSLR you buy, if your budget is limited, for what you want to shoot, you'll get better image quality with a good bridge camera than the inexpensive lens(es) you're likely to limit yourself to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:55 AM   #50

Thanks TCav, interesting point. I have the Panny fz35 but was never ever happy with it to be honest and wanted a different camera, not necessarily the make as Panny's are good cameras' i think. I have also had a Fuji finepix s8000 and an Olympus, which is many years old now and only take 4 megs i think. I liked the quality of the Olympus and my daughter got some good shots with the Fuji, i gave it to her. So i am still lost but i do take your very valid point.
I think my lack of knowledge is hampering me a lot which is why i always ask the experts on here like you and Simon et al.
Still lost but still reading reviews and plan to go out next week and get a camera or three in my hands and see if that helps. I want long zoom, good clear images, good in lowlight and fast is that impossible all together in any camera?