Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:35 AM   #51

What you're trying to find,eysha,is what everyone wants- however,with your budget,compromises are inevitable- and indeed beyond your budget...!!
As Tcav suggests- a good bridge camera would seem like the logical way to go- provided you don't mind it not being pocketable- though of course,that would rule out the DSLR also...!
Bridge camera's (which you own in the FZ-38) are the "swiss army knife" of the camera world- satisfying most users with their 7/10 efforts across the board.
Decent-ish in lower light,the ability to go from wide angle to BIG zoom in a second(without changing a lens),HD video capability with autofocus,tilting screens for tricky compositions- plus many other tricks and toys.
Like DSLR's however- they all have their plus points- and negatives.
The Panasonic FZ-150 is the speed king.
The Canon SX40hs has the BIG zoom and in my opinion,the best IQ (and the best image stabiliser)
The Sony HX200v has a few gimmicks on board (though not the best lens)
The Nikon P510 has a monstrous zoom- though reviews are sketchy so far as to its quality...
The Fuji bridges HS20/25/30 have the nice manual zoom- but are hopeless in the video stakes- and I'm not convinced with their IQ...

That's my 10 pence worth on bridges...!
Enjoy your "touchy-feely" session in a few days...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:47 AM   #52

I understand what you are saying after all the reviews i have read. I think the Panny TZ30 is good/better than the Sony.
In a bridge camera is the 150 any better than the 35 that i have and if so why and how?
The 200 looks good but expensive but, is it good and if so why?
TCav's comments made me really think so maybe a DSLR is out for now until i have more money to spend, but i am not discounting one just in case i come into money, lol. But, which one is the big question and a headache to review all of them.
Would i be sensible to say the TZ30 for now and a DSLR later?
I am getting no work done for reading reviews, lol, oh well i started this so i have to finish it too.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:55 AM   #53

The main differences between the FZ-150 and the 38 are-
Larger zoom- 25-600 v 27-486
Tilt/swivel LCD on FZ-150.
Much faster burst modes- and with AF on each frame in 5.5 fps mode.
Faster AF speeds.
Improved high iso performance- due in part to MOS sensor in the FZ-150.
Zoom control on lens barrel AND around shutter.
External flash hotshoe.
Plus a few other minor improvements...
To be honest,however- are these differences enough to warrant an upgrade..?
Only you can decide that....
The FZ-200- on paper- should be quite a camera.
The f/2.8 lens throughout the zoom range should make a huge difference to capturing shots- giving you the option of much faster shutter speeds(all else being equal) or keeping the iso settings down when desired. It should be quite a handy wildlife shooter on a budget...!!
If you want plenty of zoom whilst remaining pocketable- the TZ30 is certainly worth looking at- though I'd still consider the TZ25 also.
Yes it has less zoom,no GPS and mono audio on movies- but by all accounts has better IQ than the TZ30- due in part to using the FZ-150's sensor- and maybe the smaller zoom lens helped overall IQ also...? It's also cheaper...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:58 AM   #54

Panasonic's FZ100, FZ150 and FZ200 can all use the accessories you have listed in your signature for your FZ38. Steve's also has reviews posted for each of them: FZ100, FZ150, FZ200.

Since you've already made a significant investment in accessories, I think you'd do well to narrow your scope to these cameras, and only look elsewhere if you can't do what you want with any of these.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:05 AM   #55

Simon i agree that the 150 may not be much of an upgrade so not worth the investment.
The 200 however, does look good on paper but wasn't sure about the price being a bit steep. Having said that the TZ30 is also around the sameish price so i would go for the 200 in that case.

TCav, i agree that i should stick with the Panny and so pleased to know now that the 200 will take my lenses so that does help, a lot.

The 200 isn't out here yet i believe and so little to no user reviews on it. Unless you know different.
Might be worth hanging for the 200? comments please.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:24 AM   #56

Re looked at the prices for the tz30 and the fz200. The 30 is priced at 258-275. The 200 is priced at 544.00 in the uk and 379.00 in the USA, big difference there.
Might be cheaper to get one from the USA, my cousin goes there all the time. Would that make a difference if i bought from the USA? She could bring me one back.
Since the 30 is roughly half the price of the 200 i think the 200 might be worth the extra and worth waiting for. What do you think?

Since i bought into the Panny range i best stick with it and save money, so i agree with TCav, makes sense i think. Why buy moe lenses if i don't need too so thanks for that TCav.

Last edited by eysha; Aug 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM. Reason: more info
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:34 PM   #57

The 200 is priced at 544.00 in the uk and 379.00 in the USA, big difference there.

Not so, have a look at UK Digital cameras + one or two others.= 489 and they will come down as soon as the rush dies down.
The Nikon D5100 body was 669 not long ago, now I could pick one up for 379.
Just be patient.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:20 PM   #58

Thanks deadshot, i am happy to be patient as it gives me longer to learn more, and i need to do that,lol.