Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Downgrading...Need Suggestions

Good morning! After a year of toting around my Sanyo Xacti VPC-FH1, I'm ready to (down)grade to a smaller, quicker, easier-to-use dual camera. I've found that the quality of the still pictures on the Sanyo is poor or non-existent (in low light), and I find myself having to tote around the Sanyo AND my Canon and going back and forth between the two. So I'd like to find a camera that I can carry with me all the time and pull out of my purse to capture quick family videos or photos--nothing professional, nothing that requires manual settings--just simple, automatic and easy-to-edit and burn on my Mac. Of course, I'm sure I can't get everything I want, but here's the list of what I'm looking for:

1. Small in size and priced at $150.00 or less.
2. Easy to use, no extra bells and whistles necessary
3. Video in 1080p HD
4. Takes decent quality stills--possibly with flash (do they even make these?)
5. Shockproof/waterproof

So I've been kicking around these cameras and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much for your time and advice!

Samsung HMX-W300
Camileo BW10
Kodak Playsport ZX3
Panasonic HM TA-20

Brenda
BrendaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:01 PM   #2

I think a question that needs to be asked is...
Do you go for a small camcorder with still capture as second prize... or do you go for a stills camera which shoots video...?
I'd certainly go for the latter....
I recently purchased a small Panasonic FT20 (TS20 in the USA) waterproof camera, which is waterproof to 5m,shockproof(within reason..!),obviously has a flash,25-100mm optical zoom,is freeze-proof to -10c,is image stabilised(and very effective) and has a simple iA point and shoot mode- and I picked it up for 130.
The only thing not up to your specs is the 720p video.
Maybe this kind of camera might be worth looking into...?
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...20-review.html
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:51 PM   #3

Hi Simon...thanks for your response! Your question is exactly the same question that I've been posing to myself over the past few days, and late last night I made a decision. Though I was leaning toward a still camera w/video capability, I realized that ease-of-use was more important to me than bells and whistles (which is why I'm selling my Sanyo Xacti FH1A in the first place!). I also still have a tough time convincing myself that the video on a still camera is as good as on one that's touted as a, "camcorder," first, even though I know that many times, the quaility is actually better! Most of the still cameras that have 1080 capability were either touch screen or multi-button craziness that I want to avoid. So I ended up buying a Philips Cam 150, which seems to have most of what I'm looking for, including a flash (a weak one, I know, but at least it's there). Since most of my family photos are generally taken outdoors and aren't high-speed action, I hope this camera will do the trick for stills and video. Thanks again and have a great week!
BrendaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:43 AM   #4

I hope the lil' Philips proves to be what you hoped for.
Perhaps you could update us here with your thought/impressions on this little cam' in the near future- maybe upload a pic or two also- as someone else might be looking at a similar purchase and would value an opinion.
Regards,
Simon.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:08 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi Brenda,

I'd seriously think about just spending the extra $150 on a better mobile phone with a good camera built in.

I think we're fast approaching the point where all the relatively inexpensive cameras are matched by the better phones. And of course if you're using a Mac anyway, an iPhone4,4s,5 has to be on the cards.

Worth considering at least.
Regards,
Craig