Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:57 AM   #1

Default Replacement Family Compact Camera needed?

Hi All,

We currently use Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX37, but the camera wont focus correctly and automatically shuts off. I'd say it would be uneconomical to repair and we'd also like something else that would meet our needs more, there's being:

1) Wont cost the earth. Todate have had 2 digital cameras each only lasting 4/5 years.

2) Primary purpose is for family snaps both indoor and out. Previous cameras havent been great in low light so thats an area we'd like to improve upon

3) Point & Shoot. We know very little about photography and thus manual settings (other than scene selection, flash control etc) mean nothing to us. And being a family I doubt we will every have the time to learn what manual setting have to offer!!

4) Have young kids, they like to "take" photos, so it cant be fragile.

5) It doesnt take ages to take a snap. The wife always seems to miss those important picture of the kids when they are activie and the camera misses the moment

6) We also have a miniDV camcorder, used family events etc. but with the advancements in camera video technology perhaps we can combine the video needs into the camera and drop the old camcorder from the baggage we can

7) This GPS tagging isnt of much interest and if I cant get a model without it that reduces the price, the better.

I've read the likes of canon s100 being good etc, but do these sort of camera offer features that we pay for but never benefit from? It must be reasonably compact as the wife tends to throw the camera into her handbag and as I dont have a man bag!!! it needs to slip into pockets when not in use.

Its doesnt necessarily have to be a latest model as a 2nd hand or older model would keep it within the budget. I really cant justify spending more that €300. The less the better. I've searched on numerous forums/websites with all types of models suggested but at this stage my head it melted/confused.

Also there are some family events coming up so I dont have all the time in the world to decide, thats hard on us men!!

Thanks in advance

W.

Last edited by whowantstwoknow; Sep 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM. Reason: added camcorder/GPS reference
whowantstwoknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:13 PM   #2

The S100 is a fine little camera- and a bit pricey- but what might concern me are young fingers around the mode dial...!
If all the family would be using the camera,then simplicity would seem to be the way to go.
Maybe Canon's IXUS 125HS might suffice...?
It's not too expensive,is certainly "bijou",shoots HD video with optical zoom,aluminium bodied,few external buttons making life very straightforward,effective image stabiliser...etc... a nice little "snapper".

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cam...articleContent
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:55 PM   #3

How about a Pentax Optio WG-2?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-2-review.html

The kids are not going to damage it
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:06 PM   #4

Except for requirement number 4, which is almost impossible to produce, Cameta Camera http://www.cameta.com/refurbished-co...lc-cameras.cfm has a refurbished Pen Mini with lens for $269. It's an ideal camera for what you need and a great deal.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:15 AM   #5

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. As I'm living in Ireland anything shipped from the US wont be worth it when customs get their hands on it.

The kids aren't bad with the camera so I'm not really looking for a "tough" camera. From my points in the first post my priorities are:

A local store is clearing out the Sony HX7 16MP Compact Digital for €185. How does that match up to my requirements? From reading online reviews it seems to hit all the marks with adequate results that would meet such a family's needs?

Thanks in advance

W.

Last edited by whowantstwoknow; Sep 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: read online reviews
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:40 AM   #6

Went with the Sony HX7.

As read in reviews, pictures a bit "red", but in terms of my priorities, ticks all the boxes..

Thanks again..

W.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:50 PM   #7

canon ixus is very recommended
plixyloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:34 AM   #8

Hi Hwowantstwoknow ,Dublin
I am looking for a Sony hx7 and would love to know where you sourced yours. Also living in Dublin.
Thanks
Iveragh
Iveragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:50 AM   #9

Hi,

At the time I spotted it on this thread. Agros were selling them off. All gone now I'm afraid.

Its fine for what we needed and now means I can leave the camcorder at home.

W.