Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:25 PM   #1

Default Travel Zoom Selection

Hi - I am looking to purchase a new digital camera with a good zoom capability. I am looking at the 20x zooms and looking for recomendations. One of the most frequent times I will be using it is at my daughter's swim meets. I want to be able to get candid shots of her on the deck or in the water from the stands, often indoors and beyond flash range. Suggestions? I have not seen much discussion of Fuji 770EXR, but it seemed to get a good writeup here. Also looking at most of the others in this group.

I am no expert, so if you think I am looking for the wrong class of camera, please let me know and make suggestions. Thanks
sackbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2

The Panasonic FZ150 which I own is a very good camera with excellent IQ and a good RAW mode .

Its also very lightweight !!
Here are some example shots taken by me in RAW ! :

http://500px.com/photo/13495101
http://500px.com/photo/13268143
http://500px.com/photo/10917027
wrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:35 AM   #3

If being pocketable is a must,then the usual suspects are Panasonic's TS25 or 30,Sony's HX10/20/30v and Canons SX240/260HS.
If size is not so significant then the Panasonic FZ-150 is worth considering,with fast autofocus speeds and burst modes,long zoom and decent lower light capability.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:25 PM   #4

I recognize the typical favorites from Panasonic, Canon and Sony. I have not seen as much discussion on the Fuji 770EXR or Olympus 30/31MR, even though their reviews are pretty good. It looks like 30MR is also available at a pretty attractive price. Anyone out there with comments (pro/con) on the Fuji or Olympus offerings?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:00 PM   #5

I personally don't think the Fuji stands up against the opposition with regards image quality- which is a shame,as it has a good feature set. However, if you're not a "pixel peeper" then it might be one to consider- not least because it has a reasonably fast (for a travel zoom compact) f/5.3 at the long end,which can only help in the applications you're looking at.

The Olympus is primarily an "auto" everything camera- and in less than ideal conditions might not give you the best setting suited to the conditions- such as a swim meet...!

Last edited by SIMON40; Sep 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:13 AM   #6

I went to my local camera shop with my cuurent cameraand card. I took two shots in the shop. All in automatic, one at wide and one at full zoom. The only cameras they had were the Fuji 750EXR, Sony HX30 and Olympus 30MR. Wide shot had a Fuji display case and a wall of camera bags, etc. Max zoom was of aa Fuji SLR in the Fuji case. All cameras took nice shots and all were better than my current camera. I gave the Fuji the edge for the mx zoom shot because the texture on the camera body seemed the most accurate. I initially thought the Sony was was the best wide angle due to most vibrant colors and some better definition one some of the closer bags. But then I noticed the Fuji sign on top of the display case. The dot of the "i" in Fuji is colored, but the only camera that showed color was the Fuji. The Sony and Olympus showed no difference in color of the lettering. So I give the Fuji better marks on both shots. Now I need to get the Fuji with the Pany and Canon. All shots were on the same card and reviewed on a computer, not on te cameras themselves. I'll post again when I get a chance to compare the other cameras.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:23 PM   #7

I was able to take some shots with a panasonic zs19. Nice shots. The dealer I was at does not carry panasonic. He liked their cameras, but said they were expensive to repair. The one thing I noticed about both the panasonic and sony were they seemed to exagerate colors at least in their auto modes. Has anyone else noticed this.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:05 PM   #8

G'day mate

95% of cameras have within their setup menu a series of options to increase/decrease colour saturation, brightness, noise etc etc

Whatever you end up with will also have these options for you to fiddle with to set the camera to match your own desires

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote