Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:49 AM   #1

Default Robustness

Hello,

I am wondering just how robust better quality cameras are....I have had a Ricoh CX4 for just over a year, but I am finding that the response time between pointing and shooting is slow, sometimes non exsistant, which has lead to many a missed shot.
I have read through quite a few of these forum pages and I have decided go for a Sony RX100 But what I don't want to do is to find after a year or so the camera starts playing up and I have to look for yet another camera...So would I be better off going for a DLSR (If so which one is very like a RX100 or maybe a NEX ? They look very sturdy) for longterm use or will the RX100 be a keeper ?
skieferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2

The Sony RX100 looks to be a very fine little camera... and well bolted together also...
With a bit of luck- and a bit of TLC- it should give you plenty of life.
However,no camera- be it DSLR,quality compact,waterproof/shockproof- "Likes" abuse- not that I'm suggesting you subject your camera's to such treatment..!!

Curiously,unless you go for a "mid" range DSLR,they can also feel quite...well..."plasticky" and the likes of say Canon's G12/G1X or Nikon's P7100 feel FAR better with regards build quality....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:02 PM   #3

Thank you....As far as mishandling my camera...LOL I try my best, I have my CX4 on a langyard around my neck when I'm out and about....I makes me feel like a grown up photographer LOL....No I just dropped a camera years ago and decided I didn't want the same fate for the CX4.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:24 PM   #4

Your camera has to hang horizontally,not vertically,to be considered "grown up"...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:22 PM   #5

Now why didn't they teach me this on the tutorials ? LOL