Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:06 AM   #1

Default point n shoot camera options for a dentist

Hi - I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the appropriate area but let's see what turns up.

I'm a dentist and need to take very clear shots of people's teeth relatively close up and using a flash.

Name:  Invisalign BnA_Page1.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  113.4 KB

Here is a sample of what my photos generally look like. I am looking for a new point and shoot camera that can focus quickly and clearly and give me a nice sharp photo. The camera I currently use is old and the camera I bought to replace it has a lot of focusing issues. I thought something with a relatively wide aperture would be good in order to be fast and relatively low light - but not sure how much that matters when using a flash anyway.

Please help if you have suggestions. Looking for something not over $500.

Thanks
drpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2

Hmm drpeterson. You and my dentist share the same name. You don't happen to practice in NW Ohio do you?

Canon's PowerShot G12 is a possible candidate, which offers good macro focus distance and a decent built-in flash. It also has a fast f/2.8 lens at wide angle, along with a larger 1/1.7" image sensor. Since it's a bit older now (2010), you can find them for about $450 or less.

I'll let others chime in with some suggestions. Welcome to the forums, we hope you enjoy your time here.

p.s. Here's a link to Steve's PowerShot G12 review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...12-review.html
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:44 AM   #3

Yes, the G12 would be a good call... not least because the lens isn't super wide (28mm),thus getting you closer by default- plus you can adjust the flash output to suit your taste.
Nikon's P7100 is a camera in the same mould (and same sensor) and also gets close (2cm as opposed to the Canon's 1cm) with it's less than wide 28mm lens.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:16 PM   #4

G'day all

Just a thought ...
I would ponder the value of the 1x wide-angle side of things vs the 3x tele end of the lens
I wonder whether backing off a foot or so and using the lens at 3x + macro would make it easier???

I would also suggest to the honourable Dr P that s/he chase up one of those 'funny' tripods on wheels & a stalk ... used elsewhere it's a 4-wheeled base with a central stalk about 2-1/2 foot tall with the camera on top > if used, it might be able to better frame the face rather than getting in very close with the camera on 1x zoom

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:39 PM   #5

Excellent recommendations Phil.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Thank you all. I have looked into this Canon Powershot G12 and found it on Amazon for $379. Certainly within the budget. I think I will give it a try.

I used to have the Powershot G5 when it first came out. I remember having some issues with it from a dental standpoint - hope some of those closeup features will have improved from the G5 to the G12. I do remember liking the swing out viewer from time to time to take self portraits - but not for dental images.

Phil - typically I take the close up shots using a zoom of about 3-4x and backing away a bit from the subject. When you're taking photos of teeth and using a flash, the shine of teeth is way too reflective to get right up in there. So, yes, that is basically what I do in order to eliminate over exposed images. I had some success with an OLD model Olympus C3040 Zoom which had a super bright lens with f 1.8-2.6 at 7.1-21.3mm. I actually still have that camera and use it sometimes - the only problem is that it is slow as molasses to process pictures (by today's standards) and uses rechargable AA batteries - which I find need replacing often.
If I could find a camera that took as clear pictures as this old Olympus with same degree of reliability I would be happy. Add in today's speed and battery charging and that's what I need. Hopefully this Powershot G12 will fit the bill.

Thanks again for the recommendations - keep them coming if anything else seems worthy. I'll make my decision to purchase later in the week (after I smash this piece of crap Samsung WB150F that I got suckered into while watching QVC at lunchtime one day ) btw, anyone want to by a Samsung WB150F? I'm sure it's a good camera - just not for my purposes.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:16 PM   #7

G'day mate

Several thoughts ...
I also use AA batteries on many items in the motorhome [my home on wheels for 300+/- days each year] > I find that a 'good brand' of battery does an excellent job. Many of mine are Aussie equivalents of Radio Shack & Sony Eneloop's. The worst batteries I have unfortunately met are Energiser branded batteries

Photo thoughts ...
If the flash is too bright & gives reflections, cut a 2"-square x 1-ply piece of tissue & loop/stick it over the flash head to break its 'power' down & make the light more gentle

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:16 AM   #8

Thanks Phil - good idea on the tissue flash filter.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:56 AM   #9

Another problem (with the point and shoot). . .
Hey folks - another problem I am having with the point and shoot style camera is the position of the flash on the camera body. When I diffuse the flash as suggested by the last post I am able to get closer. However, the closer I get to my subject, the more shadow I get as a result of the flash being positioned in the upper right side of the camera. To compensate, I zoom in (about 4x) and get good lighting but then my details are slightly affected (a little blur, a little noise).
My question: Do I have to go to an SLR camera with a ring flash assembly in order to achieve the balance that I want between perfect value and best clarity and detail? And if so, what kind of cost am I looking at for such a lens and flash? I have a Canon T1i at home with a standard kit lens as well as a 50mm/1.8 prime lens.
I am REALLY trying to avoid the bulk of the SLR and lens and ring flash attachment is at all possible and that's why I have been asking about point and shoot type cameras that might achieve a close and acceptable result.
Thanks.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:54 AM   #10

Dr. Peterson.

The G12 (or the new G15) can use an external flash, which would help with the shadow a bit; and it's easier to diffuse the light. Even there smaller Speedlite 270 EX II would work great for your needs, and it's only an additional $150 or so (Amazon has them for $154). Or, you could spend a few more dollars on the 430EX II, which is a bit more powerful and you can always use either on your T1i.

If you want more versatility, but need the more compact package; I'd look into an EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) camera. They offer interchangeable lens mount systems, larger image sensors (micro Four Thirds or even APS-C sized sensors like that in your T1i), and many have built-in flash units and the ability to use external units.

You'll spend a bit more than the G12, but the increase versatility may be worth the money.