Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Default PowerShot A720 Close Replacement

Hello,

I am not satisfied with the quality my new camera (Elph). I used a PowerShot A720 IS for over 3 years and absolutely loved it but now it eats batteries so I decided to get a new camera (the Elph). What camera do you have now that is most like my PowerShot A720? I like the size of the Elph but I don't want to sacrifice picture quality. I am looking for a camera that is great outdoors for landscape and macro shots since I am a field biologist.

Thanks!
blushinglily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2

The A720 was (and still is...) a great little camera.
Have you considered high quality and high capacity rechargeables..??
Of course,the 35mm wide lens isn't exactly conducive for "wide" landscapes- but very good for macro work- especially coupled with its 1cm close focusing distance.

Canon's G12 has all the manual control one could want- a "reasonably" wide 28mm lens and a 1cm close focusing distance like your powershot.
I would also suggest the Canon S100,which has great IQ and a fast,wide 24mm lens suited to landscapes and the f/2.0 aperture assisting any low light/indoor work- though the close focus distance of 3cm allied to a 24mm lens is not the best for macro work- though not bad..!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:06 PM   #3

Thank you very much!

I suppose macro is more important to me than landscapes though both would be ideal. The G12 you mentioned sounds great but is too big to carry with me in the field. When I know I will need to take professional shots I can bring my SLR. So here is my priority list (#1 being the most important):

1. No larger than my A720
2. Great macro shots
3. Great landscape shots
4. I like to select my own "scenarios" rather than the camera choose one for me.

I take a lot of pictures of small organisms (i.e. salamanders) for work but I also like landscape shots for my personal interest. Shots of people and such is secondary since I have two other larger and nicer cameras. I am also open to other brands; I love Canon but I'm willing to switch it up if the quality is better.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:24 AM   #4

Not that much larger than the 720 is the Canon SX150is.
They're cheap as chips,uses "AA" power (I'm no fan of AA power,but it has it's obvious merits),has the ideal 28mm compromise between landscapes and macro,has the 1cm close focus distance and full manual modes as an when required.
I'm not sure the Panasonic TZ10 is still available now,but was very useful in the macro department- maybe the later "TZ"s have inherited this trait..?
This was shot with my TZ10....
Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2012, 3:45 PM   #5

I have both a G12, and a SX150 is. There is little difference in the size of these two cameras, mostly differing in shape.

If the g12 is too large, then I can't see liking a SX150 is. But for what you are asking, you will only get it in one of these two cameras, take your pick.

I really wish that I could have used Windows XP forever, but alas technology surpassed it, and I had to change. So it goes with digital cameras.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:12 PM   #6

So the SX150 IS or the G12? I'm not too keen on the fact that the SX150 IS takes AA batteries but it is in my price range. I need to replace my current camera because it just drains the batteries (AA).
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:55 PM   #7

It's kind of a tough double act- at a sensible price...
Many of the best macro camera's have "not so wide" lenses- for obvious reasons- but wide angle is very much in vogue these days,with seemingly most compact cameras lenses starting at 24 or 25mm- but to the detriment of macro work.
In addition, manual controls are primarily the preserve of "Premium" compacts also,with a "premium" price tag- or long zoom compacts- again which tend to have wide angle lenses and average close focusing distances...!!
If only the SX150 had a rechargeable battery.....!

I think the last "not so wide" compact was the Canon Ixus 1000HS (SD4500 in the US), with it's 10x 36-360mm lens and a 1cm close focus distance- ideal if macro was your priority..!

Last edited by SIMON40; Sep 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:09 AM   #8

Go to B&H, and order one of the Ikelight Chargers. It comes with four 2500ma NIMH batteries. This is what I use in my SX150, cost $34.95. The charger also comes, with a cigarette lighter adapter.

This gives you an operating set, plus a backup. In fact I have even upgraded since I bought mine, to four 2850ma NIMH batteries; now I can run my camera, and start my car too.

Last edited by Steve40; Sep 14, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:38 PM   #9

Which has the better macro (G12 or SX150IS)? I'm also considering the SX160IS that came out this month. Also, what do you guys think about the Sony Cybershot 16.1?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:29 PM   #10

Both the G12, and the sx150 struggle a bit with macro focusing. The cause has already been stated earlier, the wider the lens angle, the more it will struggle to macro focus. This goes for any makers cameras, over a 28mm wide angle is going to be a real pain. (I never have liked anything!, Sony sells)

I would not get the SX160, more megapixels same processor says to me more noise at higher ISO's. Besides you will get a better price on the SX150. Other than more MP, and a little improvement in video (which I could care less about) the specks are about the same.

Last edited by Steve40; Sep 14, 2012 at 8:34 PM.