Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:22 AM   #1

Default Point and shoot for my mom

I am looking to replace my mom's digital camera. Her current camera is so old that it doesn't accept cards larger than 1 Gb and is probably like 3 Megapixels.

A lot of people on this forum are photographers and wants overides for everything. In my mom's case, less is better. The camera should work well if she turn it on and press the shutter.

I am thinking of the following features:

Easy to use
Fast shutter speed - so she can capture the grandkids and her cat.
Image stabilization - in case of shaky hands and low eye.
Low light - because flash on PS are anemic.
SDHC card support
wide angle (28mm) lens - to capture the entire family.
About $100

From what I can determine, I was thinking of a Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2. It appears to be the cheapest camera with image stabilization. Is this a good choice or is there a better one?

I will also be hooking in an eye-fi x2 card. One problem is that she does not know how to copy the photo back to the computer. I am hoping to use the endless memory feature on the card to alleviate this.

Paul
paulsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:50 PM   #2

About a month ago I got my 82 y/o mother a Nikon L26 when she was about to leave for a 3 week trip and asked me to look at her Kodak Easyshare that died. Essentially, I limited it to entry level cameras at the $99 pricepoint.

Would have considered the Panasonic, but none of the stores locally carried it. Came down to a toss up between the Nikon and Canon. (amazing how similar those cameras physically look) What sealed the deal was playing with the menu structure. Nikon's just seamed to be more straight forward. What I would suggest, go into a store (or stores) and play with them. If your mom can't figure it out, guess who she is going to be asking for assistance.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:09 AM   #3

Canon S95 is a good iAuto choice with fast lens on the wide end...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:40 AM   #4

The Cannon S95 is nice, but it's like $400. She's actually ok with the 3 Megapixel, but my uncle was making fun of her about her ancient camera.

I am going to take tizeye's advice and try out the camera the store. Actually, all she needs to do is to be able to take a photo, disable flash, use timer, display and delete pictures and maybe record a movie.

Paul
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:50 PM   #5

Sorry Paul I see the $100 range now...I would look at the Panasonic FH25 it's a little more costly, but if you buy used from Amazon you can get a really good deal on a very decent camera that shoots great video as well...
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:10 PM   #6

So I looked at a bunch of camera in person and online

Cannon Powershot A810 - Like the separate movie record button, but did not have optical image stabilization. Uses AA battery, which makes the camera fat and easier to grip. Mom specified that she wanted a thinner camera.

Cannon ELPH 100 HS - this would be my prefer camera. The image are good. It's got fast shutter, good low light performance and separate buttons for movie and picture. However, it's been discontinued and 110HS is too expensive.

Nikon Coolpix S3300 - has optical image stabilization, but digitalcamerainfo reported that the lens displays chromatic aberration.

Nikon Coolpix L26 - review reported image quality issue for the earlier L24. A review for L26 appears to report that the image quality is still an issue. Also no optical image stabilization.

Samsung ST76 - not too many reviews, Frys had a sale for 50% off, but the few user review indicate a reliability issue and possible poor low light performance.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2 - appears to be pretty good for it class. Has optical image stabilization. The reviews on it are still good.Shutter speed appears to hit a limit of 1/1600

Paul
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:15 PM   #7

you can still buy a new canon elph 100hs
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho.../dp/B004J3V8UU

and here are several more including a few that are actually handled by amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...d=&seller=&sr=

there's also some reliable ebay sellers with new ones available.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:34 PM   #8

Unfortunately, ELPH 100 HS is going for about $130. I stopped using ebay a while back. Too many problems.

Paul
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:40 AM   #9

Paul my son has one of these and it works excellent...he is 7 yrs old and has beat it around and used it for videos and photos...much better quality than I expected...I bought it used like new for $79...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:51 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Honestly I don't think it makes too much difference.

Most of today's entry level cameras are pretty decent and very competitive with each other. I think the best thing is to find a good deal on one of the main manufacturers rather than look for a specific model.

As it's photokina now and a lot of manufacturers are bringing out new models there should be some good deals available on end-of-life models.