Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:08 PM   #1

Default Raw pocket size and long zoom?

I am asking this for a friend who wants a pocket sized travel camera with a long zoom but that also has RAW capabilities, fast shutter speed too if possible.
I know the Pannys are supposed to be good in the TZ section, i say supposed to be as i don't have one and not tried one. However, i am not sure about the RAW bit so is there such a camera?
Thanks.
PS. i should add that he likes photographing birds and fast action stuff.
E

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:44 PM   #2

I think the only camera which shoots RAW in the large zoom/compact range is the Fuji F770 and the other models it recently superseded.
It's reasonably quick in the AF department and has all the manual/semi auto modes for most shooting scenario's.
Speed wise- the Sony HX20 is fast focusing- both at the wide and long end of the zoom- very closely followed by the Panasonic TZ30.
The Panasonic is slightly quicker "shot to shot"...
I like the Panny's because they include Shutter and Aperture priority- STILL missing on most of Sony's compacts...
Canon's SX240hs- or 260hs if you want GPS- is a useful all-rounder,with good image quality(possibly the best here) though not quite as sprightly as the Sony or the Panny'.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:12 PM   #3

Thanks Simon, the GPS isn't needed. I tended to advise the tz30 but it doesn't have RAW on it unfortunately. After speaking further to him he says picture quality, fast shutter speed and zoom are the most important. I cannot really advise as i don'tknow enough.
Also do you thihk the prices will come down as the new cameras come out this year? I suggested he wait a while for lower prices, was i right? He ssays 250 is his limit.
Thanks again
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:40 AM   #4

As stated earlier- they all have their pro's and cons- but as far as IQ is concerned,their differences are there only for the pixel peeper amongst us- and at say A4 print size or screen/web viewing there would be very little difference.
Panny's TZ25 offers better IQ than the 30- but again,you have to go looking for it- and mostly at higher iso levels/low light- and who buy's a large zoom compact for low light use...?!
With regards shutter speed- the Canon SX240hs has the largest range on offer- 15 secs to 1/3200th sec, Panny's TZ30 coming in next with 15- 1/2000th sec, Fuji's F770exr with 8- 1/200th sec and the Sony with 4- 1/1600th sec available.
Shutter response,however is Sony's forte,closely followed by the Panny'.

I suspect most large zoom/compacts don't offer RAW shooting simply because all the compromises of a large zoom/compact lens/ small body/sensor combination would be there for all to see- and without on board jpeg processing we'd be treated to all sorts of distortion and a fringing extravaganza...!

With regards price- it's hard to advise with timing as there prices seem to fluctuate greatly- though at present the TZ30 can be found online for a slip under 200, with the Sony and the Canon close behind in the 200-225 range...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:30 AM   #5

Many thanks Simon. I will pass all you say onto Bill today. I was leaning towards the TZ30 but that was probably because i fancied that one myself and may get it when the price drops a bit more too but it's up to him i guess. As i said earlier i don't know enough to advise anyone and as to your question about who buys long zoom for low light shooting i wouldn't have known that myself but again, i know very little so still learning which is why i asked here.
Thanks Simon
E.

Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:27 PM   #6

Come on, get real, they don't make such an animal in a pocketable camera. This ain't Burger King, and you can't have it your way. I have never heard such, GEEEEEEEEEEE.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:10 PM   #7

Never thought to ask you Steve, you being so obviously knowledgeable about cameras compared to me, who admits i know Little and my friend even less about cameras.
I posted the question here as i knew i would get good advice but if i had known you knew so much about the subject i would just have asked you.
Oh, and i don't eat at Burger King or places like that.
And, since you have never heard such ()*&%$&^&(* before you apparently have now.
We live and learn i guess.

Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:28 PM   #8

There are a lot! of things I don't know. But a pocketable camera with a long zoom, and that shoots RAW ???. That is not even the domain of pocket cameras, while a pretty good zoom range is; not RAW. Most of the caliber of pocket camera folks, don't want or need RAW. And would probably think they needed to microwave their cameras, to cook them.

As far as I know none exists, but if enough fan boys request it, I am sure someone will attempt it. But right now to the pocket camera crowd, the most important things are zoom and more nasty megapixels.

Well, well, the Canon S100 does shoot RAW but no long zoom, and that's pocketable. But you are going to pay for it. I think I might also wait for the Sxxx, since the 100, has had more than a lions share of lens breakdowns. According to its users, for no apparent reasons; YEAH.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".

Last edited by Steve40; Sep 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote