Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:05 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Which camera?

Hello,

As a long-time 35mm film photographer I'm interested in getting a digital camera.

I would like the to be as small and light and quiet as possible. But I'm willing to pay for good quality.

My interests are documentary and fine art photography. I only ever really shoot with a 35mm (wide-normal) lens. I find it suits documentary photography very well, and has been the most commonly used focal length amongst my influences including: many of the great Magnum photographers, Robert Frank, Sebastiao Salgado, Elliot Erwitt, Helen Levitt, Manual Alvarez Bravo, Annie Liebowitz, etc, etc.

I was thinking of a DSLR - in the APS-C format cameras that translates to 23/24mm but I find that there are precisely zero reasonably priced f2 lenses available for either Nikon or Canon. There are some f1.4 lenses, but they are very big and expensive. Of course for DOF control APS-C loses a stop so is about the equivalent of FF f2, so perhaps it's a fair comparison.

Anyway, so I have come up with a few options:

DX - Smaller sensor:
1. Nikon D7000 + 24mm f1.4 => 1000 + 2000 = $3000
2. Canon 7D + 24mm f1.4 => 1700 + 1600 = $2300

FX - larger sensor:
1. Canon 5DMkIII + 35mm f1.4 => 3500 + 1400 = $4900
2. Canon 6D + 35mm f2 Carl Zeiss EF mount lens. => 2100 + 1150 = $3250
3. Nikon D800 + 35mm f2 =>3000+ 360 = $3360
4. Nikon D600 + 35mm f2 Carl Zeiss EF mount lens = 2100 + 1150 = $3250

Leica M9 + 35 f2 'cron => 7000 + 3200 = $10200 (so that's a bit out of my price range.)

As I'm not interested in big systems with lots of telephoto lenses (which I believe can be VERY expensive) I'm able to spend up to $5000 or so as I expect the camera to last me for a number of years. I have excluded Canon 1DX and Nikon 4D as the bodies are very large and expensive, and overkill for my type of photography.

To be honest, apart from the Leica they all seem a bit big and bulky, and some are quite noisy too I believe. I'd also like to get an AF camera if possible. Can anyone think of anything I might have missed?

Last edited by peripatetic; Sep 17, 2012 at 5:20 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:35 AM   #2

If you'll only be shooting at 35mm and want a fast lens, maybe consider the Sony RX1..??
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3

Since many of the photographers you mentioned did much of their most celibrated work in B&W, perhaps you'd be best served by a Leica M Monochrom. After all, an 18MP image, unencumbered by a Bayer Filter will run rings around a color 24MP.

As an interesting side note, many of those photographers you mentioned also used Leica cameras and lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
If you'll only be shooting at 35mm and want a fast lens, maybe consider the Sony RX1..??
Yea. I suspect Craig was just posting this thread as a "trick question" to make a point of why some users may want a camera like Sony just introduced, given the previous discussions about the new Sony RX1.

With it's high quality CZ 35mm f/2 lens, full frame 24MP sensor, control layout, feature set, etc., it should "fit the bill" perfectly.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...x1-review.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
With it's high quality CZ 35mm f/2 lens, full frame 24MP sensor, control layout, feature set, etc., it should "fit the bill" perfectly.
As opposed to the Leica M Monochrom

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...rmes_m9-p.html

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Super Moderator

There are actually 3 correct answers to the question:

Until yesterday there were only 2 and a half.

Yes of course it was a joke, and one of the correct answers is the new Sony RX1. But it's a serious point.

"Who on earth would want one of these?" Well, a lot of the world's great photographers might have found it quite handy.

The second correct answer is the Fuji X100, bet you didn't see that one coming.

The half-correct answer would have been a m4/3 camera and the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens. But Olympus have just announced a 17mm f1.8, which will be even better for those wanting a 35mm equivalent.
Old May 25, 2013, 4:24 AM   #7

I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information.
actual-exams http://www.actual-exams.com
riya is offline   Reply With Quote