Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:32 AM   #1

Default replacement for epl1 - Panny GH2 or Sony SLT

Morning all,
I知 hoping someone here can point me in the right direction re camera choice.
Following the death of my Olympus EPL1 I知 on the marketing for an new camera, which will be mainly used for photos and video of the kids indoors and outdoors. I was really disappointed with the EPL1痴 in terms of AF speed/tracking when taking pictures of the kids indoors and its ability to achieve shallow depth of field.

Based on my budget I致e narrowed my choices down to the Panasonic GH2 or the Sony SLT a37/a57.

Can anyone offer any feedback on how these might perform in terms of IQ, AF speed/tracking in doors for the kid pictures, ability to achieve shallow depth of field, video quality?

I知 quessing they値l both be about comparable in terms of image quality with the Sony ahead in terms of IQ, AF speed and ability to capture DOF. Would this be a fair assumption?

Also on top of this the sony a37 is significantly cheaper than the GH2.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Gavin

Ps As an old film SLR shooter, I知 also leaning toward the Sony as it might give me more potential to once again develop my interest in photography into a hobby....assuming I get any free time from the kids.
PPS - let me know if this is the wrong forum for this question.
Gavin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:28 AM   #2

You're assumption is right.... though the Sony will lead in IQ also...!
The larger sensor certainly aiding your need for a shallow DOF- though of course,the lens you use and at what setting will influence this greatly.
The A37 has a super spec' for the money.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:49 AM   #3

I would not buy a Panasonic GH2. The Sony SLT camera even a low end A37 is far superior than a micro 4/3 camera in terms of what it can do and image quality. Unless you have a good collection of Micro 4/3 lenses and you want to continue to walk that route. I have a few cameras, one of which is an Olympus E-PL1. It is a good starter camera but the image quality in no way near that of a Sony or other DSLRs.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:03 AM   #4

Thanks Simon / WCKser, That was really helpful. Just about decided on the sony slt, now dithering between the a57 and the s65. I think another thread is needed!

Simon - like your location. Just down the road from me, lovely coast line on the island.
Gavin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:15 AM   #5

Unless you really need 24mp or GPS I'm not sure the A65 warrants the extra expense.
Then I'd question the advantages of the A57 over the A37....
The A57 has a larger/high res' screen and has a faster shooting rate and I think it has slightly more movie options- but the A37 is still pretty sharp...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote