Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Been looking and SO Confused . . .

I have been looking so much i'm REALLY confused, it was easier buying my car, lol. I am looking for a high end digital camera or would even consider a small, pretty much point and shoot with some manual control 'bridge' camera that can do the job of a dslr, something that has a pretty high zoom, that has about 14/16mp, with really good image stabilization and a flash that can take good outdoor night shots and also won't blur when taking pictures of let's say a city skyline. Am i asking too much or the impossible?
Thanks for your or anyone's help and direction
ghinnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:35 PM   #2

Hi ghinnygirl.
Let me start off by suggesting that you don't "need" 14-16mp- unless your printing huge images/prints. Also high megapixel counts can often degrade IQ- and slow a camera down due to processing large amounts of data.
What do you plan to be shooting primarily- and how large a zoom will you need?
Is size an issue- can it be bridge sized.,, or would you prefer compact..?
I shouldn't imagine a city skyline should pose much of a problem- though at night a tripod would be the way to go here,utilising a longer shutter speed and a lower iso setting for clear shots. Hand-held might be tricky- though many camera's are now offering a hand-held low-light burst mode designed to offer a fairly low noise night shot.
Most camera's offer a variety of flash modes including night scene and night portrait- and can be quite effective- though obviously due to their size have their limitations.

Canon's SX40hs is one bridge camera with a BIG zoom,excellent image stabilisation (the best in my opinion) and plenty of manual control if desired- and the prices are very reasonable at present as the new SX50 is out any time soon.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...rShot_SX40_HS/

A high end compact to consider that still has a reasonable zoom range is the new Nikon P7700 due out about now- though with a "New" price tag..!
With it's slightly larger than usual 1/1.7" CMOS sensor allied to its fairly fast f/2-4 28-200mm lens it should be pretty decent in lower light situations.
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-coolpix-p7700

Smaller still- but with a large zoom..?
Contenders for your interest are Canon's SX240hs(260 if GPS is your thing), the Sony HX20v (or 30 if you want Wi-Fi) and Panasonic's TZ30(ZS20 in the US).
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:13 PM   #3

Thank You so much, i usually take nature pics, insects n such and like to look like i got in close but didn't with macro n zoom. i've also tried my hand at taking pics of the moon, even with a tripod, changing iso, night scene, zoom and such and they're always blurry.
Taking 'easy' shots when out with friends @ night. . not light enough or with iso change, grainy. Thank You again, going to look and read up on your suggestions !
ghinnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:42 PM   #4
Administrator

Hey ghinnygirl:

I see that you posted the same thing in 3 different threads in 3 different forums ("What Camera Should I Buy", "Contact Steve's", and our "Welcome! Introduce Yourself" Forum).

That's known as "Cross Posting" (posting the same thing to multiple forums to try and attract more attention to your posts), and that's frowned upon in most forums, including this one. In other words, "cross posting" the same thing to multiple forums is not good forum etiquette.

For one thing, that's not fair to other posters in those forums, because your post goes to the top of the threads list for each forum you post in.

For another thing, when you post the same thing to multiple forums, members may not realize that you've already asked the same questions elsewhere that may already have been answered by other members. So, it's best to have the same questions stay in one thread, so that all of the responses to those questions are in the same place.

Finally, we ask that "What Camera Should I Buy" related questions only be made in the "What Camera Should I Buy" Forum.

So, I've removed the posts you made in the "Contact Steve's", and "Welcome! Introduce Yourself" Forum" (since they were basically the same as the one you made here), leaving this thread for responses.

You probably just didn't know that cross posting (posting the same questions in more than one forum) is frowned upon from a forum etiquette perspective. So, no problem (don't worry about it). I'm just letting you know about that now for future reference.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's. Hopefully, you'll get some good suggestions from members here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Super Moderator

You haven't really narrowed things down by your interests, which are pretty general.

Perhaps you can narrow it by budget?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:07 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Okay, so one more question and then I'll recommend.

Can you in 60 seconds name 3 of your favourite photographers? Doesn't have to be your top 3, just 3 that spring to mind of your top 20?