Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:05 AM   #1

Default Sony a57 or a65 help is the trade off low light performance?

Morning all,

In need of a bit of advice on camera choice.

Im looking for camera for stills shots of the kids running around the back yard and in the house, lots of indoor shots, birthdays, opening presents on Christmas day etc, some holiday shots and landscapes. On top of this so I can ditch the camcorder decent video capability would be good. Were still one of the few people that seem to print out photos mainly picture books and the odd print up to A4 size.

Fast AF speed (those kids move fast) and ability to get shallow DOF are a priority.

Based on all of that Id just about set my sights on the Sony SLT a57, but now after taking a look at the A65 Im dithering again.

I really fancy all those extra MPs to allow greater scope for cropping, BUT Ive been reading some terrible things about the senor on the a65 and noise at med ISO!

I need help from someone navigating through all this!!

This would be my first DSLR, having owned file SLRs in the past so Im unclear really about the value of the extra 8 MP and whether 16MP would be enough. Ive just seen the Nikon D3200 is also 24MP

Also from my film days I rarely ventured > 800 ISO and now in the digital world if a camera performs poor at 6400 ISO it gets slated! Would I really need to push the ISO that high for those indoor shots?

It seems like the trade off between the a57 vs a65 is ability to crop vs low light performance. Is this fair? Also the A65 in the UK is 200 more than the a57.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gavin
Ps is the A65 kit lens a pile of S*** like some have claimed?

Gavin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:33 AM   #2

According to DxOMark.com, the only source I know of for objective test results on image sensors, the A57 and the A65 produce almost exactly the same amount of noise. (Click on the Measurements tab and click on the link for SNR 18%.) (SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio) One of the things that this doesn't show, and that you should keep in mind, is that higher resolution means that each of the individual pixels is smaller, with respect to the entire image, so the impact of each individual errant pixel is less in a 24MP image than it is ina 16MP image. So, just looking at the measurements, you'd do equally well with either one, but the A65, with its higher resolution sensor, would produce higher quality images.

Another difference is that the A65 has a higher resolution eye-level electronic viewfinder. The A65 uses a 1024x768 OLED display for the eyepiece, while the A57 uses an 800x600 LCD.

Other than that, there isn't much that distinguishes them. With appropriate lenses and accessories, they are both equally good at what you want to do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin69 View Post
Ps is the A65 kit lens a pile of S*** like some have claimed?
The A65 is available as a body only as well as with either of two kit lenses, so I don't know which lens you might be referring to, but one downside of a higher resolution image sensor is that the flaws in the lens(es) you use are more apparent. A lens that is perfectly adequate for the A57 might not appear as good on the A65 in the same circumstances if you plan to do a lot of cropping and/or pixel peeping.

But forewarned is forearmed. There are some exellent lenses available for Sony's A-Mount, not the least of which is Tamron's 17-50mm f/2.8. If you want a replacement for the $100 Sony 18-55, that $449 Tamron is a good choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote