Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:10 PM   #11

I'm curious to the slow shot to shot timings of the SX260- much slower than quoted than on this review...
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ca...m-review-18961
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I'm curious to the slow shot to shot timings of the SX260- much slower than quoted than on this review...
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ca...m-review-18961
I am not sure how these review sites time shot to shot, but I time it from when I press the shutter the first time (prefocused) to the time it takes for the camera to take the second shot (with the shutter depressed the entire time while I am waiting).

SX260 was about 6-7 seconds with the flash
SX130 is 12 seconds with the flash (Steve's review says 4.8 seconds - which is a distant dream for me.).

I have used 3 different SX130's and they are ALL the same speed. I know someone claimed to get faster speeds with the sx130 but they were using batteries that were of higher voltage and "not approved" for use in the camera.

I suspect the review sites might time it from when the first shot appears on the screen to when they take the second shot. But for me that makes little sense and I go by the time I would have to wait before I could take another shot after realizing that I missed the shot or that something changed and I wanted to take another right away (like singing happy birthday, or someone riding by on a bike).

Try it out in the store and see how it works. I tried the SX!30 in the store and I was told the slow time was b/c of the standardized voltage in the electrical system used to power the demo models - but it was no different when I had batteries in the camera.

Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:43 AM   #13

If I was to try a "shot to shot" test- with or without flash- I wouldn't keep my finger on the shutter throughout the timing- I'd press again when the screen was active(the image you're about to take being visible).
I'd also recommend switching off "image review" (the replay of the shot you'be just taken) which will speed things up quite a bit.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:36 AM   #14

Quote:
If I was to try a "shot to shot" test- with or without flash- I wouldn't keep my finger on the shutter throughout the timing- I'd press again when the screen was active(the image you're about to take being visible).
I'd also recommend switching off "image review" (the replay of the shot you'be just taken) which will speed things up quite a bit.
Hi Simon,

Perhaps that is the way the testers do it.

I personally don't see any point in testing in a way that is not consistent with the way the camera is actually used in real life. I can't say I know anyone who does not use the image review on a regular basis with a point and shoot camera.

The SX130's screen does not become active for about 11-12 seconds (finger on the shutter release or not) - that is alot of time I am wasting & during that time I cannot even compose the shot.

Thanks,
Juggernaut

Last edited by Juggernaut; Oct 22, 2012 at 6:39 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:12 AM   #15

That does seem a ridiculous amount of time between shots on the SX130- so much so,I'd wonder if there's an issue with it,or an incredibly slow card...!!
I owned an SX120 some time ago and I don't recall it being particularly pedestrian- I would have got rid of it immediately if it was, as speed is high up on my requirement list- shame the lens was awful though..!
Interestingly- on all four of my current cameras my image review is switched off- I'll simply activate the playback button if I want a look....

Just to give you an idea of speed with image review off I just tested my cams..
Shots in a 10 second period- in single shot mode.... all in "P" or equivalent,lowest iso,outdoor lighting....

Nikon D5000- 10 frames (not wholly significant- shot through viewfinder..!)
FZ-150- 14 frames
Olympus XZ-1- 7 frames
Fuji J100- 4 frames.

All with class 4 SD cards- so I could possibly attain higher speeds with faster cards- say class 10...!

However, all said and done- camera's using 2xAA batteries are never going to be fast- especially when using the flash...!

Last edited by SIMON40; Oct 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:40 PM   #16

Quote:
That does seem a ridiculous amount of time between shots on the SX130- so much so,I'd wonder if there's an issue with it,or an incredibly slow card...!!
I owned an SX120 some time ago and I don't recall it being particularly pedestrian- I would have got rid of it immediately if it was, as speed is high up on my requirement list- shame the lens was awful though..!
Interestingly- on all four of my current cameras my image review is switched off- I'll simply activate the playback button if I want a look....

All with class 4 SD cards- so I could possibly attain higher speeds with faster cards- say class 10...!

However, all said and done- camera's using 2xAA batteries are never going to be fast- especially when using the flash...!
I am using a class 10 kingston card, so I don't think that is the issue.

I think the image quality got better but the speed got worse with the SX130, if i remember correctly (compared to the sx120).
It is probably the AA bateries (probably needs 4 for the flash), but it is also pretty slow with no flash...just not so nearly unusably slow.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:43 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm intrigued you returned the ZS15 due to its substandard IQ, as it's generally regarded to be one of the better superzoom-compacts.
That said,Canon and Panasonic do have a different approach to IQ.
Panny's tend to appear sharper,but arguably to the point where artefacts/noise can appear when viewed close up- whereas Canon's tend to have a smoother texture,sacrificing maybe a touch of detail for a "cleaner" image. Colouration can be quite different between the two also- with Panny's often erring on the cool side, with Canon's a touch on the warm side.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day- though I will add maybe we're all guilty of expecting a little too much from our little camera's.
With what your average travel-zoom/compact crams into its tiny little body, I think they do a pretty decent job of taking decent images across a WIDE variety of shooting scenarios- not to mention pretty decent HD movie capture and a whole host of other tricks...
Ultimately, I think if you scrutinise images at large sizes- as it stands at present- 1/1.7" to 1/2.3" sensors are limited with regards IQ- and if you cannot accept their limitations, you may be destined for disappointment.
The only true "compact" at present which gets pretty close indeed to DSLR IQ is Sony's RX100- and it has its large 1" sensor to thank for that.... and their prices are dropping...
Hi,

I ended up getting the P7700 - liked it because good image quality and the most zoom of its class - 7.1x (i wanted at least 10x or more, but this does not exist in a larger sensor point and shoot camera).

It is a nice (and definite) step up from the sx130 & sz15. Clearly better image quality (not just a subtle improvement). Not quite up to the DSLR, but a very nice substitute when i don't want to carry the DSLR & it has very fast shot to shot time, even with using the flash.

Juggernaut.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:41 AM   #18

The Nikon P700 is very awesome to me

NikonYoungBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 2:53 PM   #19

I'd be interested to hear any more thoughts on Nikon's P7700- it looks to be a fine camera and I suspect many here might be interested on your early thoughts.
Maybe post a few shots also...?