Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:08 AM   #1

Default Nikonr P7100 vs Canon SX230

Hi,

There is a big difference in price between these two cameras, but I really cannot see much of a difference in picture quality between the two.

The P7100 is much more expensive.

Is the price difference just to have more buttons on the P7100 and faster performance, or have the pictures I have seen just not been able to show the true superiority of the much more expensive P7100?

I'm more concerned with overal picture quality, not the bells and whistles.

Thank you,
Juggernaut

Last edited by Juggernaut; Oct 6, 2012 at 8:08 AM. Reason: oops, they won't let me edit the title!
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:16 PM   #2

The P7100's build quality is a step up from the SX230- as is it's overall handling and quick access to many frequently adjustable parameters.
However- despite a slightly larger sensor in the P7100 and a lower mp count (10-12)- there seems to be very little difference in image quality- other than maybe slightly more natural colour on the Nikon,with the Canon erring on the warm side.
Of course,the Nikon shoots RAW also should you wish to indulge in a lengthy "post processing" party...!
Pluses for the Canon is the zoom range and is genuinely pocketable.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:21 PM   #3

have you tried comparing the two cameras at the comparometer?
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

it's handy as you can compare them at all ISOs and in 2 different sets of studio pics.

btw, i have the sx260 and used to own the sx230. i like 'em, and i have been quite pleased with the 260, although shot to shot time gave me some trouble yesterday and i'd prefer more external controls. i must admit that having external exposure compensation like the p7100 offers, the dial up the top left would be very useful to me. having the optical viewfinder would be extremely helpful to me as well. i don't find any of these to be bells and whistles, but rather features that would make the p7100 a photographic tool that offers more control more easily plus a viewfinder would be so useful when framing in sunlight or other situations.

in fact, i must admit having looked into the camera because of your post, i'm more than ready to learn more about it and try it out in person.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
have you tried comparing the two cameras at the comparometer?
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

it's handy as you can compare them at all ISOs and in 2 different sets of studio pics.

btw, i have the sx260 and used to own the sx230. i like 'em, and i have been quite pleased with the 260, although shot to shot time gave me some trouble yesterday and i'd prefer more external controls. i must admit that having external exposure compensation like the p7100 offers, the dial up the top left would be very useful to me. having the optical viewfinder would be extremely helpful to me as well. i don't find any of these to be bells and whistles, but rather features that would make the p7100 a photographic tool that offers more control more easily plus a viewfinder would be so useful when framing in sunlight or other situations.

in fact, i must admit having looked into the camera because of your post, i'm more than ready to learn more about it and try it out in person.
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am mostly concerned with the end product. It just seems to me these days that we are being asked to pay more and more for little or no image improvement.

All reviews I have seen state that the image quality of the SX260 is worse than the SX230 - do you disagree?

Heck, no reliable retailer even sells the SX230 anymore - so options seem to be to buy the worse camera...

Looks like the P7700 just came out. I will see if any retailers actually sell it in store and try it out.

Again, if having all the dials leads to actual better picture quality, I would use it, but I get the impression that the price just is for the dials, but the image output might not actually be any better. (That being said the new canon's with only 4x zoom are producing images that looks as good or better than my DSLR so I am hopeful the Nikon's P7700 will have some actual image improvement despite the 7.1x zoom).

Thanks,
Juggernaut
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:53 PM   #5

The Nikon P7700's fast lens will certainly help keep the iso settings down- all else being equal- which indirectly will yield better IQ.
As for the IQ between the SX230HS and 260HS- I'd be surprised if there was any difference at all- and if there was,it would be so small as to make no difference.
I'd plum for the 260(or the 240) because of the far superior flash mechanism- I'd also have no worries with the longer zoom pushing the stabiliser too far- as Canon's stabilisers are superb- though the f/6.8 aperture at the long end might require an increase in iso settings.
Bear in mind also you could probably purchase two SX260's for the price of a P7700..!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Bear in mind also you could probably purchase two SX260's for the price of a P7700..!
Hi,

Yes, that is sort of part of the point.
If I am not going to get more sharp and clear images for the money, then I would not buy the P7700. Might as well go with the larger zoom of the sx260-type (if the IQ were as good as my sx130, which I somehow doubt).

It is the reason I returned the zs15 - images were no better (and were in fact worse) than my older sx130.

I figured at some point, the "more money" would eventually translate into "better IQ", but I have yet to find that to be the case without going to the DSLR's.

Hopefully the P7700 will meet expectations....

Juggernaut

Last edited by Juggernaut; Oct 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:36 PM   #7

I'm intrigued you returned the ZS15 due to its substandard IQ, as it's generally regarded to be one of the better superzoom-compacts.
That said,Canon and Panasonic do have a different approach to IQ.
Panny's tend to appear sharper,but arguably to the point where artefacts/noise can appear when viewed close up- whereas Canon's tend to have a smoother texture,sacrificing maybe a touch of detail for a "cleaner" image. Colouration can be quite different between the two also- with Panny's often erring on the cool side, with Canon's a touch on the warm side.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day- though I will add maybe we're all guilty of expecting a little too much from our little camera's.
With what your average travel-zoom/compact crams into its tiny little body, I think they do a pretty decent job of taking decent images across a WIDE variety of shooting scenarios- not to mention pretty decent HD movie capture and a whole host of other tricks...
Ultimately, I think if you scrutinise images at large sizes- as it stands at present- 1/1.7" to 1/2.3" sensors are limited with regards IQ- and if you cannot accept their limitations, you may be destined for disappointment.
The only true "compact" at present which gets pretty close indeed to DSLR IQ is Sony's RX100- and it has its large 1" sensor to thank for that.... and their prices are dropping...
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I'm intrigued you returned the ZS15 due to its substandard IQ, as it's generally regarded to be one of the better superzoom-compacts.
That said,Canon and Panasonic do have a different approach to IQ.
Panny's tend to appear sharper,but arguably to the point where artefacts/noise can appear when viewed close up- whereas Canon's tend to have a smoother texture,sacrificing maybe a touch of detail for a "cleaner" image. Colouration can be quite different between the two also- with Panny's often erring on the cool side, with Canon's a touch on the warm side.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day- though I will add maybe we're all guilty of expecting a little too much from our little camera's.
With what your average travel-zoom/compact crams into its tiny little body, I think they do a pretty decent job of taking decent images across a WIDE variety of shooting scenarios- not to mention pretty decent HD movie capture and a whole host of other tricks...
Ultimately, I think if you scrutinise images at large sizes- as it stands at present- 1/1.7" to 1/2.3" sensors are limited with regards IQ- and if you cannot accept their limitations, you may be destined for disappointment.
The only true "compact" at present which gets pretty close indeed to DSLR IQ is Sony's RX100- and it has its large 1" sensor to thank for that.... and their prices are dropping...
Hi Simon40,

I am not expecting DSLR type quality from these little camera's.

My SX130 is no where near DSLR quality - no question at all.

I too was a bit surprised to see the ZS15 under-performing compared to the SX130, but it seems the general trend these days is "more zoom, more megapixels - lower IQ". (eg, almost all reviews say the SZ15 is better than the SZ20 and the SX230 is better than the SX260 for that very reason).
I took a leap of faith that newer would be better (especially when picking from the top rated cameras) but clearly that was not true (or I got a bad copy of the camera).

-I took a series of pictures side by side and the ZS15 shots were less sharp and more noisy (at its best ISO) than the SX130 in every case.
(all set on P mode with ISO fixed at 100 for both cameras).

Again, I was not looking to match DSLR quality - I really just wanted something with as good (or bad ) IQ as the SX130 but with faster shot to shot speeds.
I did not want to spend money on something with worse IQ than I already have (even if it has better shot to shot performance), so that is why I returned it.

The sx230 can only be bought online (same as ZS15), so I guess I will try to test out the sx260 in stores and see how it compares.

Thanks,
Juggernaut
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:14 AM   #9

in looking over my sx230 pics and my sx260 pics, i find the sx260 to have the edge, not the other way around.

but i'm wondering if part of the problem with your zs15 wasn't quality control. i believe i've been zappned in that area. i had a zs20 and i didn't get a single sharp photo with it. i haven't had that problem with other cameras. after i returned the zs20, i looked at other people's photos with it, and i now suspect i might have gotten a lemon.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
in looking over my sx230 pics and my sx260 pics, i find the sx260 to have the edge, not the other way around.

but i'm wondering if part of the problem with your zs15 wasn't quality control. i believe i've been zappned in that area. i had a zs20 and i didn't get a single sharp photo with it. i haven't had that problem with other cameras. after i returned the zs20, i looked at other people's photos with it, and i now suspect i might have gotten a lemon.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I took my sx130 to the store and compared it to the sx260 they had.

They were pretty close (much closer than the zs15), but the sx130 shots were still a bit sharper and had slightly less noise.

Perhaps the sx130 was just a better combination of lens, zoom, and megapixel size leading to better shots than much newer cameras. Too bad the shot to shot time is so slow (and the sx260 was actually still pretty slow - about 6-7 secs shot to shot with flash vs 12 seconds on the sx130 - both pretty bad)

I am awaiting the "official" American release of the P7700 and likely will go with that. It has only 7x zoom but it might just be the best balance of picture quality and zoom out on the market today.

Thanks,
Juggernaut