Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:38 PM   #11

If I'm looking for just photo, am I better off with a t2i or T3i? I don really want to spend extra for a flip out screen or video capability. I have a good handy cam for that. I just want a no-nonsense camera that I can use my lense with.
Heinrich Hausler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:25 PM   #12

There isn't much difference, especially for what you want to do, so go with the T2i.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:09 PM   #13

I appreciate all of your insight and TCav. How does the Sony slt A37 fit into this picture? Going to pull the trigger in the next week...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:34 AM   #14

The Sony/Minolta A-Mount has a flange focal distance that is just 1 mm shorter than that of the Yashica/Contax mount. That's not much room to adapt one bayonet mount to another, so the few adapters that exist are thicker, and rely on corrective optics to preserve infinity focus. As I said before about adapting your Yashica/Contax lenses to a Nikon body, if you want to use Yashica/Contax lenses because they're good, relying on some other optical element of questionable quality is a bad idea.

If you wanted to adapt Yashica/Contax lenses to a system you already had, fine. But you're starting from scratch, so the only good way to go, that preserves the optical quality of your Yashica/Contax lenses, is with Canon dSLRs or one of the mirrorless systems, because of their shorter flange focal distances.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:40 AM   #15

Good to know. So all things being equal, do I get a nex or a t3i? That is where I'm at, or possibly the new canon. Eos-m. Those are my last three definitive choices.

For arguments sake, what is a better camera system on its own, disregarding the yashica lenses. Nikon d3100 or d5100 vs canon t3i t4i vs nex. I'm done bothering you now, and I greatly appreciate your time spent.

Last edited by Heinrich Hausler; Oct 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:33 AM   #16

I suggest that you go with a Canon, and the T3i is a good choice.

As systems, dSLRs are better than mirrorless cameras.

To hang your Yashica/Contax lenses on, short flange focal lengths are better than long flange focal lengths.

That puts Canon dSLRs squarely in the center of what will serve you best.

As for "Nikon d3100 or d5100 vs canon t3i t4i vs nex", I'd give the edge in image quality to the Nikon D5100. It has lower noise and better dynamic range than the D3100 and the Canons, and while it uses the same sensor as most NEX cameras, it has better lenses.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:59 PM   #17

So the 5100 is the best camera for picture quality out of the whole bunch of them. I'm thinking if I'm getting a dslr, maybe get the 5100 as its the best in its class, and use my old lenses with my 35mm's. I am starting to think I'd rather have the best camera and maybe build from there.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:41 PM   #18

What do you want to shoot?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 4:40 PM   #19

Landscape, scenery, outdoors, black and white sometimes. Old buildings and family get to gethers. What camera has a better build quality as well...

Last edited by Heinrich Hausler; Oct 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich Hausler View Post
Here are my requirements:
Nice if its below $700
I definitely want to be able to manually focus, manually set aperture, shutter speed and iso.
I want to be able to use my collection of old 35 mm yashica/contax lenses. What are my options folks?
Heinrich
I was in similar situation. I bought a Nikon D5100 package with 2 lenses. Don't think your old lenses will work though. But was in your price range. Great camera overall.
cturboaddict is offline   Reply With Quote