Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:13 PM   #1

Default Want to buy a dslr?

Here are my requirements:
Nice if its below $700
I definitely want to be able to manually focus, manually set aperture, shutter speed and iso.
I want to be able to use my collection of old 35 mm yashica/contax lenses. What are my options folks?
Heinrich
Heinrich Hausler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:48 PM   #2

Some of those are lenses are really nice, but you won't get autofocus or autoexposure with them.

The Yashica/Contax lens mount had a 45.5mm flange focal length, so any lens mount with a shorter flange focal length will probably have better adapters for those lenses. The Canon EF mount uses 44mm, so that's probably the best choice. GadgetInfinity.com makes two adapters, a $30 one that just mounts the lenses, and a $40 one that supports AF Confirm which means that, while it won't focus the lenses for you, it will let the camera's AF system blink an AF point when the subject is in focus.

For $550, you could get the Canon T3i body only from Adorama, but for $719 you could get the T3i with the 18-55mm autofocus, autoexposure lens with image stabilization.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:52 PM   #3

Most of my lenses are manual focus, not auto focus. Would that more expensive adapter still work with the beep as confirmation? I'm still using 35mm other than some cheap point and shoot digital. Would the dslr and my old lenses have exposure meter in the camera?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich Hausler View Post
Most of my lenses are manual focus, not auto focus. Would that more expensive adapter still work with the beep as confirmation?
Whatever feedback the focus confirmation gives, that adapter will do it as you focus manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich Hausler View Post
I'm still using 35mm other than some cheap point and shoot digital. Would the dslr and my old lenses have exposure meter in the camera?
There will, but you'll need to adjust the aperture manually.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:49 AM   #5

That's exactly what I want. All manual.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:26 AM   #6

Modern SLR and dSLR lenses have an automatic diaphragm that stays open so you have the benefit of working with a wide open aperture as you focus and select exposure settings. Using a lens made for one brand of camera, on another brand of camera via an adapter, means you won't get that. You'll need to focus manually, then select an aperture, which will dim the viewfinder, and more important, may result in focus shift. Obviously, this isn't something you would want to put up with when shooting sports/action/wildlife, but for still life and fine art photography, you'd probably be putting those fine old lenses to good use.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:36 AM   #7

Another option, btw, if you're up for it, is the Sony NEX product line of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (with an appropriate adapter from, among others, GadgetInfinity) including the 24MP NEX-7.

The Sony NEX cameras are very nice and very popular, and their short flange focal distance, means that many lenses are adaptable to the NEX bodies, so they're being used by many people that want to re-use older, manual focus lenses
Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:10 PM   #8

I considered a nex-5n, a nikon d5100, nikon d3100 and he canon t3i and t4i. The only thing holding me back from the nex series is the lack of an eyepiece, and they are pretty expensive and $250. What are your thoughts in lack of an eyepiece? I don't think I would buy te Sony for that much money and then have to invest $250 more for the eye piece. Thoughts appreciated?
Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:20 PM   #9

I agree that not having a eyepiece is a drawback for all but the NEX-7 and NEX-6 (which have an eyepiece.) But for still life, portraiture, etc., indoors, the LCD monitor is up to the task,and has a number of features that make manual focusing very accurate.

For what I do, not having an eyepiece would be entirely unacceptable. But for what you'd be doing with manual focus and manual exposure, I don't think it would be much of an issue, and you might grow to prefer using the 'Live View' anyway.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:28 PM   #10

As for using your Yashica/Contax lenses on a Nikon body, the Nikon F-Mount has a longer flange focal distance than the Yashica/Contax mount. So in order to permit focusing to infinity, an adapter would require some optics of its own. If you want to use Yashica/Contax lenses because they're good, relying on some other optical element of questionable quality would be a major concern for me. That's why I skipped the possibility of using a Nikon dSLR with your lenses.

You can certainly go that way if you want, but since you're starting from scratch (as opposed to wanting to incorporate some Nikon gear you also have) I wouldn't bother.