Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:42 PM   #1

Default upgrade from sx 220

i want to upgrade my sx220 as it's a bit slower then i would like. The image quality and low light are good and would like to stick with something similar, not less... i was looking at the panny tz25/ zs15, maybe one of the newer sony's not sure which one yet but one thatis as good as the hx9 or better or maybe the nikon s9300.... GPS and wifi are not needed, maybe a few manual controls would be nice but not expected. Whcih is best in auto mode? which woudl be best in low light? i looked at a few pics comapred side by side but they all look so close to me i can't tell a big difference.... which is fastest between shot to shot? panny?
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:35 PM   #2

The Panasonic "TZ" clan are up there with the fastest compact/hi-zoom cameras- along with the Sony HX range.
The focus/shutter response on the TZ25 and the HX20v is identical- both being 0.15 sec at the wide end and 0.3 sec at full zoom (especially impressive as the Sony is quite a bit longer at full zoom than the TZ25).
The "Off" to first shot times are- 1.8 secs HX20v and 1.6 on the TZ25.
Shot to shot times come in at 1.25 for the Sony and a very brisk 0.6 from the Panny'.
Flash shot to shot speed is excellent on the Panny' at 1.2 secs and 3.6 on the Sony.

Low light performance amongst the latest compact/hi-zooms is comparable,with little in them- though the TZ25 is pretty decent- and by all accounts better than its higher spec brother (or sister...lol..) the TZ30.

If you scroll down this page- you'll also see the timings for Canon's SX260hs- identical to the 240hs which does without the GPS feature....
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ca...m-review-18961
All of the above have some very nice features and much manual manipulation available should you wish to indulge.

The Nikon s9300 takes close to 4 secs to take a shot from "off" and takes close to a second to focus at the long end of the zoom....!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:16 PM   #3

awesome thanks so much. i think i will let price decide for me since the panny and sony seem to be so close....
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4

ok, well i sold my sx220 and i bought the tz25/ zs15

when having it on the p mode what is the best setting to have it on? so far it seems to be a nice snappy camera. i don't like that you can't easily retract the last pic you just took, that you have to switch the setting and then view any pics taken... i will also have to buy another battery and a changer, i don't like that the battery has to be charged inside...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:57 AM   #5

"P" mode is pretty much an "auto" mode of sorts anyway- with the camera selecting its own choice of shutter speed and aperture- though of course you still have control of white balance,iso setting,intelligent exposure,AF mode(multi,single or tracking) and metering- plus you still have control over the basic image parameters,such as noise reduction,sharpness,colour and contrast etc...
All of the above will impact image quality in some way- and much will depend on what you regularly shoot and your own taste- some prefer sharp pictures- and some prefer/softer but cleaner images etc...
For simplicity you might want to go with it's iA mode- it usually does a great job for most subjects- though for moving subjects I would usually switch to "S" mode and select a fast shutter speed- say 1/320th and above- and use auto iso. Of course it has a sports "scene" mode also which might also prove effective.
As for the playback/shooting switch- I love them- it acts as a great safety switch- your lens will never pop out if you accidentally switch the camera on, provided you leave the switch in playback mode whilst off...!
The charging system is less favourable- and unfortunately a system which most manufacturers seem to favour these days- no doubt in the interests of saving money..!

Just for interest- my usual "P" settings on my TZ10 are....
Auto white balance,max quality,iso auto(though on bright days I'll select the lowest setting),minimum shutter speed set at 1/250th sec,pre-AF set at Q-AF(for speed),Metering set at multi,digital zoom and intelligent resolution off,colour effect standard,stabiliser set to continuous(mode 1),AF set to multi area.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 7:17 AM   #6

thanks. I was flipping through the white balances yesterday and testing out with pics and i didn't find a huge difference between most.... i find on the lcd screen it does look very different but on the pic after it's taken, almost all were very very similar. on the lcd it scared me at 1st as when i had it on incandescent it was a blueish tint on the lcd but yet the picture didn't come out like that....