Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Default which camera should i sell?

i currently have two panasonic micro four thirds cameras, a GF1 and a G3, and while they are in some ways very different cameras, they pretty much fill the same niche. i don't need two cameras that are so similar, so i thought i'd get some suggestions on which to sell.

the GF1 has the optional EVF, which admittedly isn't all that good, but i really don't like the way the G3 enlarges what you're looking at when you focus manually. the GF1 seems to focus better when it comes to closeups (not macros), but the G3 has better low light sensitivity. the GF1 has a much better build quality but the but the G3 lets you touch focus and shoot, which can be handy. that being said, sometimes it won't focus on closeup stuff at all till i give up and shoot from another angle, and that's been a frustration since i shoot closeups a lot.

the G3 is almost 4 years newer than the GF1, so even though in many ways the GF1 is a better camera, the G3 will probably sell faster 'cause it's newer. both cameras are in very good and fully working condition.

so... which one would you sell and which one would you keep?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:40 AM   #2

The G3 has less noise and more dynamic range than the GF1, has a 4608 x 3464 sensor vs. the 4018 x 3016 sensor in the GF1, and a faster burst speed.

I have no doubt that you could sell the G3 faster and for more than the GF1; it's more desirable.

So, why wouldn't you desire it more?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3

what you say is true, but like i said, it doesn't seem to focus on certain kinds of closeups well - i've had a lot of trouble with it where other cameras (including the GF1) don't have this issue. i also find that the pics seem less color-saturated even when set to vivid, another thing i haven't found to be the case on my other cameras. and last, when trying to focus in manual mode, the G3 enlarges the center to a huge, grainy mess that makes it harder to focus rather than easier, particularly if you're not trying to focus in the center. i've asked and there seems to be no way to turn off this "feature".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The G3 has less noise and more dynamic range than the GF1, has a 4608 x 3464 sensor vs. the 4018 x 3016 sensor in the GF1, and a faster burst speed.

I have no doubt that you could sell the G3 faster and for more than the GF1; it's more desirable.

So, why wouldn't you desire it more?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4

How much do you have invested in your system's accessories?

If not very much, you might consider jumping ship.

If a lot, I'd sell both and see what the latest models offered.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:20 PM   #5

i have a few lenses, but most of my favorite lenses are legacy lenses i use with inexpensive adapters, so i could get other inexpensive adapters for another system so i could keep using my canon FD lenses. on the other hand, i could check out the competition in mirrorless - i was interested in the GH3, but it's almost as heavy as the t4i, which i find prohibitive with a decent sized lens.

i have lately been considering jumping ship to the NEX system for its APS-C sensors and small, light form factor. i have weak wrists with issues, or i'd just get a t4i.

Last edited by pcake; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:50 PM   #6

The Canon FD-Mount has a flange focal distance of 42 mm, while the Canon EF-Mount uses 44 mm. You aren't going to be able to adapt your FD lenses to a T4i without using some questionable optics. If I were serious about continuing to use my FD lenses, I'd stick with mirrorless systems so the adapters would be a lot simpler.

The NEX system has some nice cameras, with large image sensors. The problem is that the NEX cameras have a very short flange focal distance, which works out ok for your FD lenses, but it means that NEX lenses have to bend light more in order to cover the image sensor. This results in more vignetting, more field curvature, and more chromatic aberration.. I think I'd stick with a m4/3 system, probably an Olympus that might be able to stabilize those FD lenses.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:55 PM   #7

Clearly both camera's have their pro's and con's- it just depends on which suits your shooting style/choice of subjects better.
It seems to me from your post that the GF1 is better for close-up work- which you say you do plenty of.
And as you suggest- you might get more $$ for the G3 anyway..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:02 AM   #8

I think it depends on your budget, if no limited of your budget, normally, the higher price, the better.