Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:35 PM   #11

G'day all

In my very limited experience of drag/dirt racing I was behind the safety wire fence and copped lots of bitz of flying dirt & crap as well as getting 'some' fine [for me] images. Back in those days I was using the Panny FZ30 [fixed lens 12x zoom] and the Panny FZ35 [fized lens 18x zoom]

The FZ30 had the better lens IQ and the FZ35 had faster burst ...

Upon reading the OPs latest comments, I am thinking that the FZ200 might need some serious consideration - it's got the lens zoom he appears to need - it's got the iso capabilities - & it's got that great constant f2,8 lens which should ensure good & continuous focus in low light levels

Simon - wotcha reckon??
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:32 PM   #12

Ozzie- I've mentioned the FZ-200 as a possibility- for much the same reasons you suggest- assuming all else is as per FZ-150- then maybe the buffer is adequate...?
We need some speed/buffer clearout tests...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
Is this what you're talking about?

http://carbone.zenfolio.com/mercerbr...be0f#h39c31f4e

These aren't my photographs. They are photographs of my customers.

I don't know how you get shots like this from the tower behind the grandstands.
so what camera / lens are you using ? some of yours are the same angle , front - side view with the backend swung out that i try to get the most .
ted evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Ozzie- I've mentioned the FZ-200 as a possibility- for much the same reasons you suggest- assuming all else is as per FZ-150- then maybe the buffer is adequate...?
We need some speed/buffer clearout tests...

you have some great shots , i think the 150 or the 200 could be good and it is much cheaper . since i'm not making money off them i like cheaper . i just read about an olympus sp810uz that has a 40x optical zoom 14 mp , i'm guessing one of these non slrs would work for me . too bad they dont come without the video , just no need in that . i tried video on the sony that i bought and the video was nowhere near the quality of the canon hg20 .

also , i actually have a canon tc-dc58a lens that i mentioned and an olympus b-300 1.7x so if i went with a point and shoot camera , i could add one of those on for the really long zoom required at some tracks . eldora was really bad since the place to film in the stands is maybe 800 to 1000 ft away from turn 4 where the best shots come from .

can some high buck slr's can do long term continuous shots , like instead of 5 fast shots they can get 50 ?

thanks again for the tips
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day all

In my very limited experience of drag/dirt racing I was behind the safety wire fence and copped lots of bitz of flying dirt & crap as well as getting 'some' fine [for me] images. Back in those days I was using the Panny FZ30 [fixed lens 12x zoom] and the Panny FZ35 [fized lens 18x zoom]

The FZ30 had the better lens IQ and the FZ35 had faster burst ...

Upon reading the OPs latest comments, I am thinking that the FZ200 might need some serious consideration - it's got the lens zoom he appears to need - it's got the iso capabilities - & it's got that great constant f2,8 lens which should ensure good & continuous focus in low light levels

Simon - wotcha reckon??
Regards, Phil
some very very nice pics on that link
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:27 AM   #16

No, I'm not the photographer. I've owned, built and driven these cars. Now I get paid to make them go fast. That's what I'm trying to explain.

The 58 car is at most 100 feet from the camera and that's from the infield, just off the #4 corner during warm-ups when the car isn't going fast. He's just starting to pick up speed. That would be an easy shot.

That shot would take a dslr with an optical viewfinder and a 55-250 lens or similar to get to a 400mm equivalent in order to do that consistently.

I know what you want and what people expect. You have to be in the infield at the proper location to get the wheels up, cranked right, tail out shots. That's # 4 corner. We don't do that off # 2.

If you try to take shots from the grandstands, you'd need 1000 -1500mm to reach #2 corner and you'd be shooting down. You'll never get the "look" of speed at these high banked tracks. The 58 car is already on the fronstretch and look at the banking.
From the spectator side of the fence, you'd have to be at #4 looking at #3 and focused at the center of the turn where the cars start to "set". That's the only shot you could get because the cars are coming toward you so fast at that point, that you couldn't refocus and the burst wouldn't work.

These are mainly daylight shots, long before feature time under the lights. After dark, you could barely see that car from the infield.

If I took this type of photography seriously rather than a pastime, I'd want a dslr with an optical viewfinder, at least a 4-5 fps burst, and good ISO 3200. Then add a 55-250 lens and get started.

I'd want to point the camera at the corner and when a car entered the frame, just go click, click, click and move on to the next shot. All three shots should be good, but one might have that "look". With 12 second laps on a 3/8 mile track, you don't have time to wait for the camera to catch up.

The liveview & high speed burst of a P&S just doesn't fit the conditions of this sport.
No matter what you have, if you can't get in the infield, you'll never be able to take those shots.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:53 AM   #17

thanks for the tips and response guys , i have been busy editing video footage from the last race at kokomo speedway in indiana and uploading them on youtube .
i went back to a different best buy store and looked at many cameras . this store has an experienced salesman , who shoots lots of pics as a hobby unlike the first store . he advised me to get an slr, which i was allready thinking hard about .
he showed me some sample pics from one of his customers that shot at a nascar race with the canon eos 60d . she was more inexperienced than me , and cut cars in half but the color quality , clarity and freeze on the fast action shots was unreal . they also had and awesome deal with a zero interest for 18 months so i bit the bullet and got a canon eos 60d with extra batteries , added on the canon 70-300 f/4 -5.6 is usm lens , filters , bigger bag etc. . for what type of shots it'll take for me to be satisfied with , it was time to jump into a better camera . now i cant wait to try it out ! i'll post some pics as i get some .

thanks again and please reply with tips on the slr and the opinion of the eos 60d ? good or bad , just curious how many out there use this model .

ted evans , ravenna , mi.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 5:30 AM   #18

Default bought a new slr , canon eos 60d kit with extra 70-300mm lens

i took it out front on the highway , set it on sports , took pics of cars and trucks at 70 mph in bright light and low light and i'm amazed at it's performance. i can read the letters on the tires , the size letters , not just the brand . when i crop them , they dont get grainy . they pixelize after cropping way way in . i cant wait for our new season to start now .
i went to a drag race (test and tune session ) at martin U.S. 131 dragstrip and it was very dark / cloudy so i set it for sports /cloudy and love the shots i got . have to learn more about settings for dark light condition since i have to lighten the pics a little but they stayed clear and only lost maybe 2% from not being focused in time for a car getting sideways and almost crashing . with more sunshine i'm sure it would have focused quicker . it takes continious shots so much that i have too many good shots of the same car lol , sounds crazy that that many turned out good , but i took too many . i'll learn next time to not hold the button on so long . might go back again this sat. , it will be the last test and tune day of the season . gonna post a couple of pics and wonder what you guys think of the 60d ?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 8:51 PM   #19

Hi,
Well, the following is all superfluous as I just noticed your post about your Canon 60D- congrats.

Zig

As has been mentioned, the requirements you've set; a quick and reliable AF system, good to high burst rate, good image quality, and zoom capabilities all call for a dslr camera.
Canon and Nikon currently are the leaders at making cameras with quick and reliable Auto Focus systems. Wether you get an entry level body and standard type 55-200mm zoom or more expensive camera body with a fast zoom lens will depend on both your budget and wether or not you shoot strictly in daylight or both night and day.
A previous poster was kind enough to give you a link to Carbone Motorsports Photography.If you take a look at the EXIF data for each photo, you'll see that the photographs were all taken with either a Canon Rebel XTi or a Nikon D3000.
Both of which did a credible job in daylight. If you take a look at the night racing scenes you'll notice the quality degrades rapidly. the reason being, the photographer had to slow the shutter speed down to get enough light in order to take the shot causing motion blur. The lens used was not fast enough to let enough light in to be able to take a shot at a fast enough shutter speed to prevent blur.

Another consideration is how far you'll be away from the cars. If you'll need to crop your photos because the lens doesn't have enough reach, a high quality fast lens will give you the clarity you'll need to allow cropping. The sensor in the camera will also play a part in equation.

I personally use a Nikon D7000 body along with a 70-200mm VRI f2.8 lens for shooting birds in flight, sports/action and outdoor evening sports ( football).
This combination would give you the ability to cover almost all of your requirements.

I say almost, because I don't know exactly how much you're going to want the crop the images.

Zig

Here is a sequence of 4 images of a kite boarder taken using the D7000 + 70-200mm lens. All photos have been cropped about 50% to give you an idea of the image quality. This guy was going almost straight at me which is a bit difficult for an auto focus system to lock onto reliably. He was also going about 40mph(my guess)

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Nov 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:15 AM   #20

zig -123 , those are nice shots and i did crop some of my last ones a lot and some not much . the cropped ones stayed nicer than any i have cropped from a point and shoot camera in the past . the lens is probably gonna play a huge difference for me now . so far i like what i see with the 60d and cant wait to try it on a dirt track , i wish the season wasn't over now .

i am uneducated on lenses but i see that the ones that work best in low light are way higher priced and go up to some really high prices , beyond my price range for what i do with it . the ones i got with the camera work pretty well so far . the last pics it was very dark outside for being during the day .
i took some pics near dark of cars going by on the highway and was surprised how well it worked also . i didn't want to use a flash because it might flip out a hwy driver and cause them to wreck or something . on the racetrack drivers are ready for flashes .

gonna keep at it and learn some more . thanks again for any tips and any lenses brands to stay away from ???
you get what you pay for usually .

ted