Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:45 PM   #1

Default High Quality Pocket Camera For Travel

Hi- I'm used to the quality and versatility I get from my SLR... however, I'm heading on trip where it's highly recommended not to carry a big camera. Of course it's a very picturesque area and I will definitely want to take photos. Can anyone recommend a pocket camera that would come close to the SLR experience in photo quality? I'm looking for something that could fit in a waist belt and would prefer not to go over $200 if possible. Thank you for any input!
beasley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:01 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

May be tough to find something under $200...

I am a SLR user (Nikon D300s + D90). However when I need to use a pocket sized P&S, I reach for my Canon S90 The larger than normal sensor renders excellent image quality and the f2.0 max aperture provides a lot of versatility.

The S90 has since been replaced by the S110. You may find a used S90, or a S95 at a reliable place such as Adorama, KEH, etc that may meet your budget.

Here's a sample image from my S90

Last edited by Wingman; Oct 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:11 AM   #3

Check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4. Also do a search for a used TS3.

I know this is over your budget but I have the slightly older TS3 version of this camera and have made a lot of very nice photos with it some have been used in the local newspaper. It was the only camera I used when I went to PA in the Spring and visited the 9-11 memorial and the family. I took over 2,000 images in a 4 day period and ended up just chargeing one battery each morning and the other overnight. The photos look amazing and you can adjust ISO, EV etc like D-SLR and it also has several photo modes like sunset/pet etc. The sunset mode makes the most awesome sunset photos. A major plus of this camera is that it is waterproof and can be dropped (rugged camera) and if your going to a cold country its good down to at least 14 degrees. It uses SD/HC/XC cards. You can get Approx 6,000 photos on a 32GB card. I'd just make sure you have an extra battery or two as battery life is not its strong point. I usually carry mine in the back pocket of jeans when I need to have my hands free and then grab it out turn it on and snap photos as needed. I also take it on long walks to capture fall colors/leaves etc vs lugging the D-SLR I have. There isn't anything about this camera I don;t love minus I wish the zoom was slightly longer, but on the wide end its good for what I do with it. Also I have used it to take photos during firefighter operations and it hold its weigh in gold when it gets dusty or wet and images are spot on the rear LCD screen. Very easy to tell if you got the image and if it is recorded correctly (exposure etc.)

Hope this helps. If it was me and I was going on a long trip I'd buy the camera, spare battery and a 32GB SDHC class 6 or 10 card and I'd charge the batteries every night even if their are not 100% dead.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:38 AM   #4

My lightweight,bijou DSLR free days are taken up with my Olympus XZ-1.
Larger than usual 10mp "p+s" sensor,fast f/1.8-2.5 28-112 lens,RAW shooting and all the manual modes as per DSLR- and a built in ND filter.
Maybe you can source a good used one close to your budget.
Wingman's choice of the "S" series canon is a camera much in the same mould and very compact.
A waterproof compact as Photo 5 suggests might be a consideration if you anticipate less than favourable weather- and the TS4 has a manual mode with adjustable shutter speed and aperture- quite rare on a waterproof cam'.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:47 PM   #5

Default High Quality Pocket Camera For Travel

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to post suggestions. I really appreciate it.
beasley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:38 AM   #6

Canon s110 has only 5x optical zoom which may be too less for a travel camera. May be Panasonic tz30 or Canon sx260hs will suitable for you.
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:57 PM   #7

if you can go $250, and the pocket you need to put the camera in is a jacket pocket rather than a pants pocket, the sx260 might be just the ticket. it's easy to change ISO, exposure compensation is easy, too, and it has full PASM. i tried shooting out of a moving car window, and the pics came out surprisingly well. stabilization works well for me, even at full zoom - and the pics turn out well at full zoom, too. while i sometimes wish it was a bit smaller, the quality and ease of use made it a keeper for my carryaround camera.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:54 AM   #8

You can't go wrong with a canon s100. Best low light pocket camera out for the price. YOu can probably get a used one in the low 200s?
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:17 PM   #9

Default I prefer and use the Oly XZ1

At $200 the Olympus XZ1 is hands down the best value for a camera in this category. I tried to convince myself of liking the Canon S** whatever it is and none of them was something I felt was as good as the asking price. Even on a discount I still felt it was lacking to warrant a purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krichton View Post
You can't go wrong with a canon s100. Best low light pocket camera out for the price. YOu can probably get a used one in the low 200s?
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote