Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:43 PM   #1

Default Need Recommendations!

Hell everyone, I need a little help deciding on a camera. I currently have a Canon powershot SD1100 IS, which is a few years old (the reason I'm looking to upgrade). It's been a pretty decent camera to me but isn't really cutting it for me for most of my needs.

I'm looking for something pocketable (so point&shoot), under $300, decent zoom, with HD video and quality photos.. The main selling point for me is whether or not I can take decent photos & videos at concerts with it. I understand that taking great photos at concerts with a p&S is not likely, but I don't want crazy amazing. I have gotten pretty decent photos with my current camera but the zoom is awful, and video quality not so great.

And the way I see it, if I can take decent pictures in low light/concert settings, then regular pictures should come out decent as well.

The audio (during videos) on my current camera is rather good though, so that's definitely something I want to keep.

I was pretty sure I wanted the Panasonic Lumix ZS20, and saw some photos taken at concerts that were decent, though I read that the audio on videos is bad.

The Canon PowerShot SX260 is another candidate, and side by side photo comparisons seem better than the Panasonic, though I haven't been able to find anything about concert videos or even photos really.

The Powershot S100 looks like a great camera for concerts, but I'm not sure on the video? and it doesn't have a big zoom... which again I could sacrifice if the other features are worth it, though this one is the most expensive of the bunch.. probably at the bottom of my list.

I was also thinking of the Nikon Coolpix P310 because I read it has a faster lens (better for concerts?) but again, the zoom is low.

I'm definitely overwhelmed and a bit under educated in the camera department, so any help/opinions/advice would definitely be appreciated, and of course I'm open to other cameras other than the ones I listed. I think I'm leaning more towards the SX260.

Thanks so much!
Jumperjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2012, 3:12 AM   #2

So long as you don't expect too much in the IQ/low light department then a compact with a decent zoom might suffice.
Obvious candidates are the two you've suggested- and maybe throw the Sony HX20/30v into the ring also.
With regards audio on compacts- one person's say so wouldn't convince me and unlike photo's where you can view/download- audio is difficult,as much depends on the upload process. Where possible- I'd go to a store- take an SD card with you and go outside and shoot some video with some cam's- upload at home and see what you think.
Auto-focus performance is certainly an area to keep in mind if you plan to shoot video- especially indoors...
Have a squizz around youtube- to check AF performance on video samples...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
So long as you don't expect too much in the IQ/low light department then a compact with a decent zoom might suffice.
Obvious candidates are the two you've suggested- and maybe throw the Sony HX20/30v into the ring also.
With regards audio on compacts- one person's say so wouldn't convince me and unlike photo's where you can view/download- audio is difficult,as much depends on the upload process. Where possible- I'd go to a store- take an SD card with you and go outside and shoot some video with some cam's- upload at home and see what you think.
Auto-focus performance is certainly an area to keep in mind if you plan to shoot video- especially indoors...
Have a squizz around youtube- to check AF performance on video samples...
Thanks! That Sony actually looks really nice, and seems like it may fit everything I'm looking for.. only downfall to it is that it's definitely over my price range. Might just bite the bullet and pay extra for it but I was really hoping for something under $300. I'm not sure of any stores that would let me take test cameras outside though.. lol.
Jumperjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:54 PM   #4

I'm sure if a given store though a sale was pending, they'd let you try it in the doorway...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote