Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:12 PM   #11

Maybe playing with white balance on camera can help. Or shoot RAW and play with it afterwards?

Maybe a cheap way to get more light is to get a lamp and pull the shade off. Maybe put a full spectrum light bulb in it. Move it around until you get the effect you want? It might at least get more light on your subject.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:24 PM   #12

Long exposures can be done in full Manual mode "M" or Shutter priority mode "S".
In "S" simply lengthen the shutter speed to enable more light to come in- and if you use "M" you can also adjust your aperture for creative depth of field.
Keep an eye on your exposure meter to give you a guide as to how much/little shutter speed to use- and use low iso's for clean images.
On the GF3 you don't have a mode dial, but if you go into the menu you'll see the "rec mode" image in the top left of the screen- simply select "S" or "M" and away you go...

Long exposure explained...
http://techie-buzz.com/photography-t...-invloved.html

And a pic of a 4 sec' exposure with a humble TZ10.
Attached Images

Last edited by SIMON40; Dec 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:16 PM   #13

Thanks for that. I tested a few images with that mode and the IA+ mode that takes full control and with using the GF3s depth of field toggle button. The images are exactly the same. I was reading up on it the past hour or so and there are a few tech sites that seem to agree the manual exposure is fairly useless on this specific model, as the IA+ mode is just better overall. I tend to agree after taking my test shots. Maybe I need to play around with it a bit more to see different results.

Anywho, thanks for the help
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:53 PM   #14

Any Auto mode- intelligent or otherwise- will be limited in its effectiveness- especially with unusual or creative exposures.
I don't see why the GF3 would prove any more difficult to use in manual/semi auto modes when compared to any other model- the only difference I can see is that the PASM modes are menu based on the GF3 as opposed to a physical mode dial on the camera.
You can select between 60 secs and 1/4000th of a sec in Manual/Shutter priority and a Bulb setting of up to 4 minutes..!
You also have the option of shooting RAW for real finite adjustments in processing.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think your knowledge of this camera is the limiting factor at present- not the camera- but keep at it, the GF3 can produce very good results in the right hands.
And for the type of shooting you're partaking in, Auto is not the way to go..!

All said though- the shots in your album are pretty good by Auto standards, with the GF3 making a good fist of it. I will say,however, that your compositional eye is fine- if not the technical...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:12 PM   #15

Yea, I mentioned I need to play with things more to get better results already.

I am open to suggestions for indoor shooting. I can't seem to get true colors out of anything but the IA+ mode. Manual and S priority bleed the colors, been playing with it a bit the last hour and I just can't get a more accurate color result than what the IA+ mode always gives me, which is more true to form and requires very little photoshopping in RAW mode, vs a ton of it with M or S mode.

Indoor shooting on all the lens's is pretty bad. Not sure what to do about that at the moment. I expected better low light results.

Last edited by Portal; Dec 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:52 AM   #16

to change indoor colors, play with the white balance. what else specifically don't you like about the pics when shooting indoors?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:22 AM   #17

Overall lack of clarity.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:43 PM   #18

Hey Portal,
Maybe ask about different approaches to this scenario in another forum. Not quite sure where it would fit. But maybe the "General Discussion" forum on this site? Lot's of knowledgeable people here that could give a lot of insightful input.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote