Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:51 AM   #21

A sensor that records all colors of light at every photoreceptor will produce sharper images (mostly for red and blue) than a sensor that relies on a Bayer Filter to split colors.

A sensor that doesn't use an Anti-aliasing Filter will produce sharper images than one that does (though increasing the risk of Aliasing and Moire patterns, something I think wouldn't be very good for architectural photography.)

But peripatetic is still talking about a 15MP sensor producing a 15MP image that will need to be upsampled a lot more than a 24MP image. I have no doubt that the 15MP sensors in the X-E1 and DP1M can produce images that are at least as good as the 16MP or 18MP sensors in conventional digital cameras. peripatetic has even quoted reviews that say they'll produce images that are at least as good at 20MP and 21MP sensors.

I'm talking about cameras with 24MP sensors.

Sigma's claim of 45MP images from a 15MP sensor is purely marketing hype, and even the most embelished estimates fall short of doubling the spatial resolution. But what is clear is that, while Foveon sensors produce more accurate color, higher resolution sensors with Bayer Filters record more detail, which, it seems to me, should be a priority for your application.

A 20x30 image printed at 300dpi is 54MP. If the image came from a 24MP sensor, it will have to be upsampled by 1.5, but it will have to be upsampled by almost double if the image came from a 15MP sensor, thus diluting whatever other advantage it might have.

There's no reason to think that either the X-E1 or the DP1M will produce any less noise than Sony's 24MP sensor, and there might be reason to think they might produce more. But, whether there's more noise or less, noise in a 24MP image is less objectionable than when it's in a 15MP image. Even though peripatetic raises the issue, since you'll mostly be shooting landscape and architectural, presumeably outdoors in good light, you won't need good high ISO performance anyway.

But beyond beyond just the sensor, the short Flange Focal Distance in the X-E1 and DP1M means their lenses must bend light more in order to cover the (relatively) large sensors. This means more Vignetting, more Distortion, more Chromatic Aberration, and more Field Curvature. To an extent, some of these optical aberrations can be corrected by more complex lens designs and by in-camera processing, but the degree of success that can be expected is limited, and sometimes efforts to correct one aberration can exacerbate another (attempts to correct distortion will reduce corner sharpness, which is already not likely to be very good.) Data on the $1,000 fixed lens DP1M isn't available, but the $600 XF18mmF2 R wide angle prime lens for the $1,000 X-E1 has softer corners and more vignetting than the $450 Tamron 17-50/2.8 zoom lens on a $600 Nikon D3200 or a $900 Sony A65.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:59 AM   #22

Then, of course, there's the abundance of lenses and accessories for dSLRs that you might find useful for this and other applications that just don't exist for P&S or Mirrorless systems, however capable they might otherwise be .
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:51 AM   #23

This is turning into a very educational thread...! I hope many are reading it...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:12 AM   #24

Let me say that whether you go with a high resolution dSLR with a high quality zoom lens that I suggest, or a high quality P&S or Mirrorless camera that peripatetic suggests, you will undoubtedly be able to accomplish your goal. Where peripatetic and I differ is in the minutiae.

My position is that a higher resolution image sensor, warts and all, will record more detail, which is what you're after, and will better tolerate the post-processing that you will require.

peripatetic's position is that eliminating some of the warts will serve you better, even with a lower resolution sensor.

If you have a good camera store in your area, I suggest you go there and try out some of the gear for yourself. Bring your own SD Card (or buy one there) take some photos that will be representative of the kinds of images you'll need to record, take the card home, and go over those images with a fine tooth comb. When you've made a decision, go back to that store, find that salesperson, and buy whatever you like.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Let me say that whether you go with a high resolution dSLR with a high quality zoom lens that I suggest, or a high quality P&S or Mirrorless camera that peripatetic suggests, you will undoubtedly be able to accomplish your goal. Where peripatetic and I differ is in the minutiae.

If you have a good camera store in your area, I suggest you go there and try out some of the gear for yourself. Bring your own SD Card (or buy one there) take some photos that will be representative of the kinds of images you'll need to record, take the card home, and go over those images with a fine tooth comb. When you've made a decision, go back to that store, find that salesperson, and buy whatever you like.

Of all the suggestions, recommendations etc., that have been made, TCav's last suggestion is the most important. Only you can decide what system is going to meet your requirements to your satisfaction as well as your client's.
And, the only way to confirm that is by trying various cameras/lenses, taking the images and reviewing them on your desktop.

FWIW, I use own both a mirrorless model EP-2 Olympus camera as well as a Nikon D7000. I have no doubt that you can achieve what it is you want with either camera systems. Albeit, the Nikon dslr will get you there more easily.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:02 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

My position is that a higher resolution image sensor, warts and all, will record more detail, which is what you're after, and will better tolerate the post-processing that you will require.

peripatetic's position is that eliminating some of the warts will serve you better, even with a lower resolution sensor.

Nothing there that I could disagree with.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Nothing there that I could disagree with.
You mean we're done?

Until next time!