Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:26 AM   #11

With the exception of the Panasonic G3 and Sony A57, I don't see any of your listed alternatives beating the XZ-1 in terms of image quality. It sounds like you need to move up a camera class or two. The G3 and A57 are both solid options. If I were you I would lean toward the A57 (which is essentially a DSLR) or follow peripatetic's advice above and opt for an entry-level Nikon or Canon DSLR with a two-lens kit to start. Take a close look at the Nikon D3200. But keep the XZ-1 as a great travel camera.

Last edited by Biro; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamO View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far.....I don't think the G15 will have enough zoom for me......any thoughts on the SX260?
Hi,

I was looking at the sx260 and the zs15 (panasonic). Decided that the zs15 would have slightly better images (except in low light) and bought it.
I was extremely unhappy with it as it did not have as good image quality as my 2 year old SX130 and I returned it.

Most "newer" cameras in this range seem to have generally worse image quality than the cameras of a few years ago because of adding too much zoom and zoom many megapixels for the same small sensor.

I ended up getting the Nikon P7700 which has a larger sensor than the sx260/zs15 but has 7.1x zoom - the most zoom of any camera for this sensor type. The images are quite impressive - a bit worse than a DSLR but definately better than the sx260/zs15 class.

Costs $500.

If it is not enough zoom for you then the sx260 or zs15 are considered the top in their class (but pretty disappointing performance in general, as mentioned).

In short, check out the Nikon P7700. I will be using mine as I was using my sx130 - for times I don't want to carry the DSLR - but the P7700 images are much better than the sx130.

Good Luck,
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamO View Post
You want to take mainly pictures of the kids. Is there any particular reason you can't simply go a bit closer and use the fine XZ-1 that you have now?

The 5 yr old plays countless sports - so that is mainly why I wanted a larger (more than 5x) zoom.

I don't need the GPS (sx260) - how is the quality of the sx240 pics? Or the Canon sx40?
The SX230 (I think the same as the SX240) has better image quality than the sx260. Problem is finding an SX230...
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:45 AM   #14

I own an SX230 and its image quality is certainly quite good - for a superzoom camera with a small 1/2.3 inch sensor. You won't confuse it with a DSLR or micro four-thirds camera. But it's still probably just fine for many people. Just don't forget that shutter response - while again good for its class - is slower than a higher-class camera. The zoom operates a bit on the slow side as well. But it's a great pocket camera that you can take many places you can't take other cameras. Metering is quite good as well.

Edit: Look what I just found on Amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...ds=Canon+sx230

Last edited by Biro; Nov 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote