Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Canon XS 240 or Panasonic TZ30?

Hi, i really need some urgent advice please.

My daughter has just decided she would like a camera for her birthday, which is very soon hence the urgency.

I am in between the Canon xs240 and the Panasonic TZ30 so i need to know which one is the best and why.

Both are 20 optical and while reading there doesn't seem to be much between them but i don't have the experience or knowledge to choose the best. Price is almost the same too, not much in it.

I know GPS isn't important but good clear crisp shots are along with best one for wildlife and macros shots and indoor shots. She probably won't use the video either but she might.

All help and advice appreciated very much.
Thanks
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:35 PM   #2

The SX 240 (260 if you want GPS) and the TZ30 are very similar in many ways- hence the cost similarity.
If you view images at screen size only and/or print up to A4 size or thereabouts, you're unlikely to notice much difference. Under close scrutiny the Panasonic will have slightly more image noise but the Canon's image appear less contrasty and maybe not quite as sharp.
The Panasonic is faster in operation- shot to shot/burst capture/focus speed etc and I'd argue it's build quality is superior. It's lens is also slightly faster- and in my opinion optically superior.
I also prefer the flash on the Panasonic- with it's usual position in the body- unlike the "up-down" motorised Canon affair.
One aspect I really like on the "TZ"s is the image view/capture switch- it doubles as a handy safety feature- if left in playback mode and you accidentally activate the On switch, the lens won't pop out, omitting the chances of lens motor damage.
Neither will be stunning in lower light- but I guess that's the trade off for such a versatile zoom range in a compact body.
If shutter priority and aperture priority are of little importance, maybe consider the Sony HX20v also....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:20 PM   #3

Many thanks Simon, so it looks like the Panny for the wildlife and macro etc then.
John Lewis has a good deal on it at the moment which is why i wanted a quick reply as i am going to town tomorrow before the offer goes off and the price goes up again. There is only about 6 difference in the two and i really didn't know which one to go for.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote