Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:16 PM   #1

Default Break the tie!

Hey everyone ..
My trusty Panasonic FZ7 is starting to show its age (just in time for a cruise in January!)

I'm starting to look at a more pocketable solution as a replacement - that was my one gripe about that camera - couldn't easily stow it on my person.

I've narrowed it down to the Canon sx260 (which has a great black friday deal for $200 including an 8gb card). Or either of the Panasonic SZs (15 or 20). Of the panasonics - th 15 seems to make more sense as I don't need GPS, and am not a fan of the touch screen.

However, I'm really having a tough time deciding between the Canon and the Panny.

I'll be using it on this cruise, but also for other vacations, and outdoor shots. Occasional indoor/outdoor candids (no kids, so this would be limited to holidays, etc). And maybe some sporting events/concerts.

Any advice/feedback/eperience would be most welcome

thx!
HarryPujols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:54 AM   #2

Both very capable pocket cameras, though of course the Canon has a bit more reach than the ZS15(TZ25).
I'm not sure the SX240hs is available where you are- essentially the same camera minus the GPS.
The Canon also records in stereo audio when shooting video,unlike the ZS15.
The ZS20(TZ30) is the Canon's more direct competitor, with a very similar spec' sheet.
The Panny is slightly quicker in the AF department and has a slightly faster aperture at full zoom and arguably is better built.

Others to consider might be Sony's HX20v or Fuji's F750exr- though the Canon does seem to be offering the best deals at this present time....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Thanks Simon -

I'd read that the IQ of the panny 15 was slightly better than that of the 20 - which is why the 20 wasn't as appealing (esp noting some of the extras aren't really of value to me).

From my (now extensive) reading - it seems like the Panny does have better shot to shot times, and quicker focus - while the Canon has the longer zoom (not as important, because 16x to 20x is negligible for my use). I thought I'd read that the Canon had better color accuracy. So I'm kind of tossed up by the IQ debate.

I don't intend on blowing any pictures up beyond 5x7, web viewing, and the AppleTV PhotoShare (so they technically could be larger depending on how the cascade sizes them). Based on that, I'm wondering if I'm getting too deep into the weeds, as I don't intend on "pixel peeping" at intensely blown up images which are then cropped.
HarryPujols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:41 PM   #4

Yes- I suspect you may be getting too deep in the weeds...lol...
At your viewing/print sizes the IQ difference will most definitely not be noticeable- so perhaps speed and handling might be the determining factor...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:32 AM   #5

i did better with the sx260 than with the zs20. the stabilization worked much better for me with the sx260 and the low light performance is better. haven't tried the zs15.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote