Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1

Default Best compact with super zoom?

I had a Nikon P100 and got damaged, now looking for a new camera... not being a pro or anything I found that for what I use my camera for (mostly travel, like to bring with me sporting events, etc, can bring to a bar or whatever) so I don't like having the larger camera where I needed a case or have it strapped around me all the time, I want something that can fit in my pocket or wife's purse easily....

now here's where I may be asking too much.... I like a good zoom! the 26x zoom that the Nikon P100 had was perfect, so I am wanting at least a 20x zoom.....

which leads me to what I researched and seem interested in are...

Canon PowerShot SX260HS 12.1MP (20x Zoom) $299
or
Olympus SZ-14 14MP (24x Zoom) $199

Between those two, which would be best in terms of quality pics or are they about the same? Video is not an issue with me, i don't need 1080HD or whatever, rarely take much vids..... I mostly take nice closeups, and zoom shots for example at sporting events.

Not too familiar with Olympus as I mostly read about Canon or Nikon etc.... But for $199 that Olympus seems pretty decent and good reviews... anyone own it or reviewed it? Thanks in advance!

Btw... any new's on new releases coming out soon of something compared to those with similar zooms?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:02 AM   #2

I'd personally go with the Canon.
It has a better lens with regards overall sharpness and less fringing.
It's low light performance is also better than the Olympus- necessary if you partake in any indoor shooting.
It also has a great deal more manual/semi auto control- should you wish to indulge in a bit of creative work or find yourself faced with a tricky exposure, beyond the scope of a typical "Auto" mode.
The Olympus isn't a bad camera- but the Canon is superior.

Others to consider might be the Canon SX240hs (the same as the 260 minus the GPS), Panasonic's TZ30 or Sony's HX20v or 30v.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:22 AM   #3

Thanks Simon.... I did a search on reviews for both, and they both seem very good, 4/5 star rating most sites, and only negative part for Olympus like you said is the lack of manual control, but for me, the wife and I usually shoot auto-mode anyways most the time, and I like macro quite a bit, so for a travel camera with great zoom (24x) and fits in my pocket I went with the SZ-14.... the next big factor I considered was price... and I lucked out as this week the Black Friday sale's, at Best Buy the Canon was $269 (reg.339) while the Olympus was on sale for $119.00! (reg.200) so quite a good price for that camera!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 5:32 PM   #4

A no brainer at that price...! Happy shooting...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:22 PM   #5

The sz-12, which is essentially the same camera, is only $129. The HD recording on the sz series cameras all appear to be limited to 720p 30fps. What a shame. At least give people 60fps. I wonder what the zoom looks like past 24x.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:51 PM   #6

Hope it doesn't add to the confusion, but costco has the sx500is for $249.

Myself, if money were no object, would purchase the panasonic fz200 in a heartbeat, but that's twice the price. and not as compact.
eswope is offline   Reply With Quote