Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:41 PM   #1

Default dSLR Upgrade

I think it is time to upgrade our Canon Rebel XT (2007). Although, I may need to sell my husband on that!

We mainly use it to shoot our vacations and our kids playing fast moving sports which includes low lighting in gyms. We have 2 lenses: 18-55mm and 55-200mm. Am I right to assume that these lenses are perfectly fine, even though they are 5 years old old? Or is my old Rebel fine, and I just need to upgrade the lens?

I'd appreciate any suggestions on camera bodies and/or additional lenses that could keep us under $1,000 budget. Picture quality is most important, but we also need a somewhat easy camera. I don't know much about what is out there.
Thanks!
willbanksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:06 PM   #2

If your XT works ok for you, stick with it and spend your money on glass.

Unless I'm mistaken, the XT came with the unstabilized 18-55 lens. The newer stabilized 18-55 is much better at $199. Also, for shooting indoor sports, neither of those lenses will do well. You'll need something with a larger aperture in order to get the shutter speeds you'll need to capture the action without a lot of motion blur due to subject movement. Tamron's 70-200/2.8 will help, but it's $769, and it's still not fast enough to get really good shots indoors at the ISO settings your XT is capable of. Another option is Canon's 100/2.0 at $449. It's a full stop faster than the Tamron, but you'll need to be close.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:08 PM   #3

Is the XT 18-55 and IS lens, if it is not I would get the T4i with the kit lens. The IS lens is pretty useful at time. If the lens it IS, just get the 60D body to go with the lenses you have, unless you want the more compact body of the rebels then go with the t4i.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:58 PM   #4

Thanks you for your quick replies.
I do not think my lens is IS, does not say so on there.But sounds like something I need.
The one thing I do not like about my XT is the lcd screen is tiny, not sure that justifies buying a new camera but I was thinking there would be other upgrades as well.
I do like the idea of a more compact body for travel, so I will take a look at the t4i, but will also think about just going with 2 new lenses, 1 new 18-55 with IS and 1 for basketball. Just not sure I can spend that amount just to shoot my child playing basketball!
If I was to go with a new camera, is the t4i my best bet?
Any other input is appreciated, as I have already learned a lot!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbanksmom View Post
I do like the idea of a more compact body for travel, so I will take a look at the t4i ...
Actually, the T4i is just slightly larger than the XT you've got now.

Quote:
... but will also think about just going with 2 new lenses, 1 new 18-55 with IS and 1 for basketball. Just not sure I can spend that amount just to shoot my child playing basketball!
Shooting indoor sports places a lot of demand on the gear. You're not going to get anything satisfactory on the cheap.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:02 PM   #6

The T4i has a much nicer lcd screen then the xt. And it does preform allot better with the new 18mp cmos sensor at higher iso of 1600-6400 iso. So it makes non flash indoor static shots easier.

Sports indoors, you will need a really expensive lens, match with good 3200 and 6400iso performance. No way around it. A 70-200 2.8 would be the way to do if sport shooting is what you want to get into, but it is big and heavy, and not suited for travel imho.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:27 PM   #7

Ok, so scratch the action shots in low lit gyms, maybe I can get so good still shots while my kid is on the foul line in a well lit gym! Thank you for the info on that!

Will mainly be using the camera for outdoor sports and for when we go on trips, just a good all around, easy to use camera to capture family events which may include action.

Thanks for anymore advice!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:32 PM   #8

Shooting sports at a distance will require a very expensive zoom lens with an aperture of f2.8 or better, and possibly a much better camera to go with it. My suggestion is, just purchase a compact travel zoom camera and video tape the games.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Will mainly be using the camera for outdoor sports and for when we go on trips, just a good all around, easy to use camera to capture family events which may include action.
Then upgrading from the XT to a T3i or T4i might be a good idea. They will come with the 18-55 IS kit lens, so you'll save some money there. Your 55-200 will be short for most outdoor sports, and after spending the money on a new body, you might not have much left for a longer one, but Tamron's 70-300 VC USD is $349. That plus a T3i for $599 and you're still under budget.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:20 PM   #10

Thank you very much, this has been a big help!