Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1

Default Please Suggest Me!

Hi All
i'm new here!

i want to buy a SLR camera, which is my first SLR
many friends and online reviews said that . nikon d5100 is good and cheap compairing with others!
I have 2 option here
can you tell which one is better

NIKON D5100 WITH 18-55MM VR LENS KIT+

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO

Nikon D3200 with 18-55 Lens & 50 1.8 D Lens (21.1 Megapixels, SLR Camera, Black)

this is the options some one tell me which is better

I'm not a professional photographer! in jan 2013 I'm going vacation back to India
azharhaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:07 AM   #2

The Sigma 70-300 isn't very good. I'd skip that one.

The Nikon 50/1.8 isn't great either.

Are these packages that a local retailer has put together for you or are they packages you've put together based on your budget?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:41 AM   #3

I would get the d5100 without the sigma 70-300, I would get the 50 1.8 instead. If your budget allows I would go with the tamron 70-300 VC USD it is a much better lens for a telephoto.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:14 AM   #4

Both cameras are nice and small which IMHO is nice for vacation / travel.

The Nikon D3200 has an optional WiFi dongle that plugs in to let you transfer pictures to a smart phone so that you can upload pictures to the NET pretty much anywhere you have data access with your phone, which might be nice if you want to do that in your travels without necessarily needing a computer. Nikon D3200 also has more megapixels.

I have the Nikon D5100. I've taken it on many a vacation and it does a really good job. But its replacement has already been announced. Have you heard about the Nikon D5200? Its released in Europe so I'm thinking it might just be around the corner here? More megapixels. Better autofocus system. And you can use the WiFi dongle thing on it.

Have you considered a superzoom like an 18-135 or 18-200? Some people don't like them. But, again, IMHO for vacation / travel it reduces how many times you switch lenses which may increase how many shots you get the way you want it. Nikon used to have the Nikon 18-135 (not image stabilized) which you can pick up used for ~$200 or so. Canon currently has an 18-135 which is image stabilized.

Another camera to consider, if you haven't is the Canon T4i with an 18-135 IS lens. This also leaves the option open to get a cheap 50mm f1.8 lens if you want that down the road.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:28 AM   #5

I was also considering Nikon D5100 for its bigger sensor (same as D7000). But now leaning towards Panasonic fz200 because of an all-in-one package, which is suitable for me. I'm not a professional photographer, and wanted a long zoom with good IQ.

No doubt, Panasonic fz200 is costlier than Nikon D5100+standard kit lens in India (surprised? I too), still for a family camera Panasonic fz200 suits us.
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sigma 70-300 isn't very good. I'd skip that one.

The Nikon 50/1.8 isn't great either.

Are these packages that a local retailer has put together for you or are they packages you've put together based on your budget?
thanks for the replay dear

actually this package by online dealer souq.com they are cheaper than local retailer here!

the first package is around 2600 AED ( 707 $] ( i put together based on my budget )
and the second one is around 2800 AED ( 770 $] ( they have offer now this time )
my budget is only 3000 AED ( 820 $)
i have low budget is it OK just buy only Nikon d5100 and kit lens 18-55 mm ?
i'm confused :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I would get the d5100 without the sigma 70-300, I would get the 50 1.8 instead. If your budget allows I would go with the tamron 70-300 VC USD it is a much better lens for a telephoto.
thank mate!
but now this tamron 70-300 VC is not available there

Azhar
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:57 AM   #7

I would suggest the NIKON D5100 WITH 18-55MM VR LENS KIT for 2,159.00 AED plus either the Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens or the Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens for SLR Camer..., whichever is for a Nikon body.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

thanks dear i will go for that
thanks for fast reply
i will write back later about my first SLR

thnaks again :P
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:47 AM   #9

i have just read this and to be honest what you need to do is get a short list and go and try them out. see how they feel are the buttons in the right place. when you buy a SDLR you buy into a system so make sure that system suits you, dont settle for i will get used to it. get a short list try a canon and nikon and maybe a pentax and sony get the right one for you
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Both cameras are nice and small which IMHO is nice for vacation / travel.

The Nikon D3200 has an optional WiFi dongle that plugs in to let you transfer pictures to a smart phone so that you can upload pictures to the NET pretty much anywhere you have data access with your phone, which might be nice if you want to do that in your travels without necessarily needing a computer. Nikon D3200 also has more megapixels.

I have the Nikon D5100. I've taken it on many a vacation and it does a really good job. But its replacement has already been announced. Have you heard about the Nikon D5200? Its released in Europe so I'm thinking it might just be around the corner here? More megapixels. Better autofocus system. And you can use the WiFi dongle thing on it.

Have you considered a superzoom like an 18-135 or 18-200? Some people don't like them. But, again, IMHO for vacation / travel it reduces how many times you switch lenses which may increase how many shots you get the way you want it. Nikon used to have the Nikon 18-135 (not image stabilized) which you can pick up used for ~$200 or so. Canon currently has an 18-135 which is image stabilized.

Another camera to consider, if you haven't is the Canon T4i with an 18-135 IS lens. This also leaves the option open to get a cheap 50mm f1.8 lens if you want that down the road.
thanks mate ..