Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:55 PM   #1

Default D3200 or FZ200?

Stepping up from point and shoot camera will mainly be used at my daughters dance competition.
I'm looking for good low light able to record so far i have it down to the Nikon 3200 or panny FZ200 should i consider another?

Thank you.
jjrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:05 PM   #2

With my little knowledge, if low light is your prime requirement rather than zoom and better video, go for Nikon D3200 dSLR, else fz200 is an all-in-one package.
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:51 PM   #3

On paper, The FZ200 with it's fast f/2.8 lens might have some merit in your application- whereas the Nikon's performance largely relies on the lens attached- and an equivalent lens would be extremely expensive.
Maybe do an online search and see if you can find some images taken in a similar scenario to what you require with a given camera- say the FZ200- and see if they're acceptable.
Maybe ask a FZ200 user here at Steve's- or nose around sites such as Flickr...

Bridge camera's are quite often scoffed at- especially for indoor work- and indeed,they are inferior to their larger sensor cousins (with good glass up front).
That said, if your expectations are reasonable, one might just suffice.
Yes, you'll have to work a bit harder- using techniques such as pre-focusing where you expect your target to be, in order to compensate for a slower AF system (though The Panny FZ200 is not slow...).
Of course- dancers generally move about a great deal- and given the bridge camera's usable iso ceiling and usable shutter speed, I'd suggest capturing slower movements, at the end of a movement (brief pause) or when posing.

Here's a couple of images shot in indoor/artificial lighting- maybe akin to the lighting you expect in your daughters dance competition..?
These were shot with a humble Fuji S100fs.
Attached Images

Last edited by SIMON40; Nov 27, 2012 at 3:03 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:18 PM   #4

Here's a set of some indoor action taken with the FZ200....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5016762...th/8218667106/

Are they adequate...? Could another user do better...? Who knows...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:53 AM   #5

Both are good but FZ200 better choice.While recent models have been relatively minor upgrades, the FZ200 returns to its roots by featuring a lens with an F2.8 maximum aperture across its entire zoom range.
Alex8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:45 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm going to buy the FZ200 looking at some pictures and the video this camera can take i think this will work just fine.

Thanks again.
jjrpm is offline   Reply With Quote