Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1

Default Recommendations for 6 year old

My son is about to turn six, and has to now been happy with one of those bulky, low-quality Fischer Price cams. I am taking him on a trip to VietNam and Japan in the spring and I think he's old enough to move up to a "real" camera that I'd like to get for his birthday.

I want something that takes nice pics and has video of at least 720p, and is at least a little forgiving of being handled by a child.

I am leaning toward the Panasonic TS20, but the reviews are all over the place as to picture quality and how rugged it really is.

Then I thought about a Canon A2400 or A3400, which probably have higher quality pics, but aren't ruggedized at all. Are there protective cases for these types of cameras, like cell phone have...so you can leave the case on and still use the camera?

I don't need water-proofing, but do need some solution so if he does drop it a few feet it'll probably still work!

I'd like to stick to $120 or less.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
CobaltDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2

I have a 6 year old as well. He loves to take pictures with my brick of a DSLR I think you're being a bit too concerned about image quality. Your 6 year old will be FAR less judgmental of IQ flaws in a camera than you are. I think the important question is whether you want him to start learning with an LCD or viewfinder. Then, you want bigger controls - stay clear of pocket cameras.

We're going to get my son a camera this Christmas as well. The idea is to get the biggest camera around $100 (in my case he isn't going to be happy if his camera is tiny because he likes my larger one). But, image quality isn't really a big factor here. Large enough to be stable and hit buttons, some zoom and $100. Then you just need to decide - viewfinder or LCD.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3

I hadn't even thought about viewfinder v LCD! I guess viewfinder would be my preference, but do they even make cameras in the $100-$120 range with a viewfinder anymore?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:21 PM   #4

not likely. there aren't many digicams like that anymore. I'll let you know if I dig something up.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:18 PM   #5

If you want to buy a camera, don't discount the rugged cameras. They are a standard point-and-shoot camera, just more rugged.

You may say you're not worried about it being waterproof, but being waterproof means if he wants to take pictures at the beach, in the rain or accidentally spills juice on it you don't have to worry about it.

And the lens doesn't come out of the body, so less chance it can be pulled and tugged and stop working.

I've got a couple of rugged cameras and really enjoy using them.

Actually, one of them my eldest daughter decided to toss (more like whip) it to me from the other side of the yard. I got to admit, her aim leaves a lot to be desired. It ended up hitting the swing set hard. My daughter shuddered as it hit. I went over and picked up the camera and it worked no problem.

If you do get a rugged camera, if you can get the silicone cover for one, maybe get that too. It will add even more protection against dropage. <grin>
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:52 PM   #6

I went with the Panasonic TS20. We're pretty happy with it. He's able to use it pretty easily and it takes decent pics and video - perfectly good for vacations, etc.

It seems pretty sturdy and will hopefully last at least a few years.