Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Keep the Nikon D40 since it is a DSLR with a few extra lenses 1 25.00%
Switch to the Olympus PEN E-PM1 since the quality is so similar and it's much smaller 1 25.00%
Not enough difference in the two to worry about...just your preference 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:50 PM   #1

Default Please help me decide... Nikon D40 or Olympus PEN E-PM1

I have had a Nikon D40 for about 4 years. Being honest, I have never learned to use it as well as I should, but that said, I have taken some pretty nice shots with it over the years. I have the kit lens (18-55) and kit zoom (55-200), but usually use my Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens for general shots.

We are going to WDW next week and after lugging the D40 on the last trip, dh bought me a new Olympus PEN E-PM1 to see if I would be happy with it as a replacement and to make travelling easier. I did get awful tired of dragging the weight of the D40 last time, but the quality of the photos made it worth the effort, IMO. Size-wise, the Olympus is a dramatic improvement. Feels so much better carrying it around.

So I have played around with this Olympus today and it really does take good pictures...*almost* equal quality in regular shots (they have more detail, but obviously less DOF) and perhaps even better in action shots. My quandry is that I cannot keep both...either I return the Olympus or sell my D40. I am so torn and have gone back and forth five times now. I'm going to be sacrificing a lot by losing my lenses, since the Olympus only comes with a 14-42mm lens and I won't be able to get another one for a while.

Those of you who really know this stuff...certainly more than I do, do you think keeping the O and selling the N would be a bad idea and that I would be sacrificing much quality for size, and by giving up having a true DSLR or do you think that the O is acutally equal to or better than the N since it is a 4 yo, low-end, entry-DLSR? I can no longer be objective and I just have to decide something.

TIA!

Last edited by peepsmama; Dec 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM.
peepsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:15 AM   #2

In my opinion, the lenses you have for the Nikon would seal the deal- you don't have to take them with you- but they're there when you want them..! Also,I'm not sure I could lose the viewfinder of the D40.
Can you not keep the Nikon and the Olympus...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:28 AM   #3

A poll! That's pretty cool!

You've mentioned that you've never learned to use it (The D40) as well as you should, so I think you probably already know what will improve your shots more than changing cameras or getting new lenses, etc.

[This website has a bunch of post / articles to do just that. Just click on the Knowledge Center and then How-To-Articles. The more you learn, the better your pictures will turn out, regardless of camera type or brand. http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...r/how-tos.html ]

Having said that, IMHO, you might want to pick the camera that you are more willing to carry with you and more likely to use. That way, when you want to take a shot, you are more likely to have the camera with you. And more chances to learn as well.

Whatever you decide, if you shoot more, I think you've come out ahead.

Happy Shooting!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the input! I am leaning towards just keeping my Nikon at this point. I just don't know how I feel about the menus long term and, as Simon said, losing the viewfinder and range of my current lenses.

Simon40-I REALLY wish I could keep both, but I just don't think I can justify the expense right now. Selling the Nikon and lenses would make up most of that money spent, if I do keep the Olympus.

Tacticdesigns-the reason for the change wasn't really to improve my shots, but to have a smaller camera. I do carry my Nikon when I needn't, but it "is" definitely cumbersome at WDW. You're right though...I need to take the time to learn beyond what I have. Thanks for the link.
peepsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:33 PM   #5

Sell the Olympus and keep the Nikon. As budget allows, you may wish to go small again and strongly consider the Nikon J1/J2 over the Olympus. Not that the Olympus is bad, but DxO testing of the entry mirrorless Panasonic, Olympus and the Nikon J1 showed relatively little difference despite the J1's smaller sensor. Essentially, they are equal. what you will gain is the ability to use your D40 lens on the J1 that you are not able to do with the Olympus. While you would need the basic kit lens for the J1, the 18-55 would have the field of view on the J1 of 50-154 and the 55-200 FOV 154-560. NOTE: Those are 'non-traditional' crop sensor calculations for comparison vs the crop lens. Multiple all figures by 1.5 for the more traditional "full frame equivalent" calculation.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepsmama View Post
Thanks for the input!
Good luck! Hope you find what you are looking for!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7

get the E-PM2