Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:37 PM   #11

Thanks for posting those images. Capability in low light is a higher priority to me than burst, and it does look like you are getting nice shots from the Canon at high isos.
For the past week i have been trying to ignore the fz60 sitting nrxt to my computer in a box, while i watch for price drops on the 150 (which I have seen- to a very similar price) and the 200, which has come down a but, but not enough. At the same time i have started to consider the canon more seriously (and have found the 40 for about $359; not too far off the fz 50). the 50 is also on sale for not much more... but it is so easy to edge up.
Found a fabulous price on a super zoom leica (which I will have ti ignore unless it falls to q.4 msrp, not too likely but is currently listed for half.. which is very appealing.) That said, if the price doesn't drop on the 200, there is a leica with comparable specs and better reviews at the same price point... so I suspect at some point in the not too distant future the fz200 is going to come down a bit, because now it is competing not with canon * nikon, but with Leica. In the latter contest it will lose.
eswope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:30 PM   #12

Best buy did not have *any* of the cameras I was interested in. (Went in to see if I could get a sense of what they felt like: heft, grip... They had *none* but did try to talk me into a sony slr . Not what i was looking for. Prices are a moving target this time of year. i had a seond shot at the panasonic G5 @ $349 (a steal at that price)... and it actually stayed in my cart at that price for several hours, while I priced out lenses, and decided that it just wasn't practical. With the included lens it probably would have taken the best macros of the lot, but would not have been as good all-around (no zoom without spending another few hundred$). the onbe at costco was new (the Nikon) road show. I am not sure if they still have it (road shows are only for a week or so)... but did consider buying & then returning if... because they do have a good return policy, and again, I would have returnind it untouched, pending decision.

Edited to note that I attended a show of my son's at an outdoor marketplace with poor lighting this past weekend, and though tempted to break out the fz, took my tz1, and was severely disappointed in its performance: really bad red eye at about 20 feet! tried all different kinds of settings, couldn't turn off the flash or shoot without it...so, I know I need something with a decent low light zoom.

Last edited by eswope; Dec 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:46 PM   #13

I looked at the Nikon L810 on snapdeal, and though *very* inexpensive at the moment (sub $200 at costco) thei comparison engine said it was an unfair comparison; a superzoom vs a travel zoom. looking at the specs, images and reviews i do not think it compoares to any of the other cameras I am looking at in terms of versatility, low light performance, manual controls, quality of the image. I have a decent travel zoom (the TZ10 albeit with a much shorter zoom, but i am looking at a better camera (and while the 810 might best my tz1, I do not think it compares to the hx40, fz60 or 200 (or 150), nikon P510. i am comparing in actual $, currrent preice, not msrp, and there are a lot of good cameras under $300 at the moment.
If i went with a travel zoom.. i would probably still go panasonic: tz30, or lx5
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:06 AM   #14

If you were to go the way of a travel zoom compact,you could do worse than Canon's SX240hs, or 260 if you want the GPS option.
I have the SX240hs and it performs pretty well in most situations.
The AF's perky,the stabilizers competent,the 25-500mm zooms pretty big and sharing the same sensor as the SX40hs is no bad thing also,resulting in pretty good higher iso output.
It also seems to be the least expensive of all the large zoom compacts..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:21 PM   #15

Thanks Simon! I really appreciate your thoughtful analyses. The quality of the pics you posted has made me seriously consider the sx40 & 50. Both are available now at very favorable prices. The constantly changing landscape in that regard is making my head spin But, at some point I have to stop comparing, take one out of the box & use it.
I went by my local costco yesterday because the road show is still on, and when i was last there I had not read reviews of some of the cameras they have.
This time around I am putting a much higher premium on image quality (vs portability). I had not considered the travel zooms, but have since looked. It looks like the tz30 packs a huge amount in there, and, I am seeing the sx40 priced comparably to the fz60 with the sx50 only a little higher.
I was thinking I should just bite the bullet and get the fz200, BUT- well my local costco has a couple at very attractive prices )different than they have online, as they are discontinuing them locally).
The most compelling in terms of price is the fujifilm hs30exr for $249 ($100 less than their online price). It offers a lot for that price point (as does the pentax x-5)... However, I don't think the quality of the photos is as good as the panasonic, or the canon.

To confound things even more (not sure if this price is still good) yesterday B&H and Amazon had the rebel Ti for $300. B*H had a ridiculous rebate (up to $300) but with the purchase of a bunch of stuff: printer, paper... Amazon has a less lucrative, but more appealing offer which added a zoom lens for $10 after rebate. however, the lens reviews were mediocre (to be generous). Do you have experience with this particular camera?

Ihad not considered a dslr, thinking it was well out of my price range, and with good lenses, it is (which is why I keep ignoring huge price drops on the G5, which I have seen on several occasions now for $300). Seems a lot of people are having similar thoughts, as when I visited Amazon yesterday they had the Fz60 listed as their #1 seller.

I have one sitting next to me as I type, and have not taken it out of the box (so I can return it in new condition if that's where my final decision leads). My main withhold being shutter (4 secs vs. 30 or 60). To my mind, the main competitor is the Canon....

BUT, I read another million reviews yesterday, and 3 sites give the Nikon P510 the #1 slot hands down. (however, when I look at their criteria... well, I put a premium on different things, and found snapsort, in particular, to be exceedingly untrustworthy, with glaring errors in the specs of virtually every camera they were comparing, the Nikon being given the top slot by virtue of its 340 fps burst At this point I have looked at these enough to immediately pick out huge errors on virtually every camera on their comparison tool- too bad as it would be useful for a quick comparison of specs. All that said (and I feel like I am definitely going on too long) in the final analysis, image quality is what matters most to me, and when I look at various gallery shots, just do not think the quality is up there (distortion, abberation and fringing starting at iso100)

So, I have once again reframed in light of current prices. am considering a stretch to get the fz200 vs keeping the 60, vs one of the two canons (I think the 40 would be just as good as the 50 for my purposes, though they are priced just $50 apart) and have to consider the Fuji at the price it is available locally. (From what I have seen of the test shots, it looks to be a better camera than the Nikon) but, again, I have not used any of them, or anything similar... except in film cameras.

To cut to the chase, what do you think of the rebel ti? (if you've used it)
any thoughts on the fujifilm (which is getting better reviews than my initial bias would have predicted

Last edited by eswope; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:38 PM   #16

Finally made a decision (kind of) Bought the fz150 on lightening deal this morning (for about what it sells for used at B &H)... have a month to see if the fz200 falls to within my range, and am keeping an eye on the sx50 & 40 also (and dangerously peeping at a few Leicas ) BUT, in all likelihood, will ultimately keep the 150. I am sure it is more than adequate, and i seriously doubt that any of the others will fall to the price at which i would like to acquire them, at least not in the near future.
Thanks Simon, I really appreciate all the help you offerred while i was going round & round.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:17 PM   #17

I also have an FZ-150- and am pretty happy with it as an overall "all in one"- glad to see you got a good deal on it.
If you need any hints/tips/advice on the FZ-150- feel free to ask...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:07 PM   #18

Thanks, I came back because i have just 1 question, a much easier one? Any recs on filters? (UV...) because it is a smaller purchase, have not done much research... or bought one since I got my (film) slr.
I have a camera with a nice lens coming & want it protected, but do not want to foul up good optics with a bad uv filter.

If there is a brand you like (or dislike) i would appreciate any recs. Thanks again & Aloha,
Lisa
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:16 AM   #19

To be honest,I've never used a filter of any kind- unless it was for a specific purpose- such as an ND filter. If you're thinking of protection purposes only ,I'd opt for a clear filter- and where possible,try and get a slim bodied filter to avoid any possible wide angle vignetting issues.
If you want a UV specifically- maybe consider this one....

http://www.amazon.com/52mm-Clear-Haz.../dp/B0000BZL47

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:23 AM   #20

Thanks again! That is exactly what i was looking for (more for protection from the elements than UV). The atmosphere here can be harsh on fine equipment of any kind. With respect to lenses, the salt and debris from the volcano is more of an issue than the humidity.

That is the first filter I have seen which specifies optically clear glass!

I much appreciate your help.
Thanks again