Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayfelix View Post
Hmm it's ok. I will just stick to CCD cameras . People says CCD is good for Day time shots, is it true?
It's probably all subjective and depends on how you use a camera.

But that's kinda like my generalization. My CCD compact cameras, I love using them during the day, but when the light levels get low sometimes I can't get the shot I want. When that happens, I have the option to put down my CCD compact and pick up my CMOS dSLR.

But then again, if I want to sit down and play with external flash and I'm prepared to spend some time fiddling around, I'll pull out my 6-year-old Pentax K100d with its CCD because I know if I pound that CCD with enough light it will make some pretty darn clean pictures.

Quote:
Saw a FinePix S4200 , is it good? The EVF is a plus.
Now that's a pretty cool camera. I've not played with one outside a store, but I was looking pretty hard at one of the older models in the series before I got into dSLRs.

The CONS would be the CCD sensor [Only goes to iso1600 at full size. At iso3200 and 6400 it will capture an image but at a smaller size] and it not having a hot-shoe. But no new camera in your price range will have a hot-shoe.*

The PROS is that its versatile. Got a lot of zoom range so you can get a feel for different focal lengths. Its got more advanced exposure modes so if you decide you want to learn about aperture / shutter speed / iso you can play around with it on this camera.

Hey . . . no matter what camera you go with, here are a couple of free programs / apps that will let you make your pictures look better.

Noiseware community edition -- No matter if you go CCD or CMOS you will eventually end up seeing some digital noise. This program (there is a free version) can reduce that noise and make "cleaner" images.

Pixlr.com -- Free on-line image editing software. It has some of the image manipulation stuff like Photoshop. And its free!

*RE: Not having a hot-shoe. That reminds me of an experiment I thought up to do with my really old Fuji E500 (4 megapixel CCD camera that only goes to ISO400.) It doesn't have a hot-shoe so you wouldn't think of using external flash. But because it has a manual exposure setting I have always wanted to see if I could rig up an external flash set-up to pull out more "quality" out of the CCD sensor. And yesterday, my cheap set of Yongnuo wireless flash triggers just arrived from China. Hmmm . . . playtime!

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Dec 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM. Reason: Typos
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:59 AM   #22

Hahaha Ok. Looks like the S4200 is kinda the best. Good price. High zoom level. The customisation is awesome . I can change the shutter speed and iso. Do u think there will be new model next year??
tayfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Do u think there will be new model next year??
At the rate that cameras are evolving right now, I don't doubt it.

But regardless of what camera you end up getting, 3 years down the road you'll probably look at what is available then and want to upgrade anyway.

The way I look at it, you can't take pictures or learn photography without a camera. The sooner you get a camera, the sooner you can do both.

Once you get your camera, use it. It has a shelf life. Get your money's worth out of it.

Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Learn. Learn. Learn. And have fun! <smile>
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:38 PM   #24

Hmmm how about the Fujifilm HS20 EXR ? SL300? Canon EOS 1100D? Nikon DSLR D3100?Samsung NX1000? Panasonic GF3?

Last edited by tayfelix; Dec 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:48 PM   #25

Hey there!

If you're talking about a Canon EOS 1100D (T3), Nikon D3100, Samsung NX1000 or Panasonic GF3, then you've bumped yourself up to an interchangeable lens camera and the benefits there in.

Faster autofocus, bigger sensor, faster trigger, ability to change lens (that can be a lot of fun) and a hot shoe for more powerful / off camera flash (that can be fun too!).

A lot of nice power there.

From some of the things you wanted to try, I'd say, if you're thinking one of these, and you haven't gotten your hands on one, try one out.

But take a quick look at the lenses. That is where your money will probably go next. [grin]

Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:42 AM   #26

Nah, reason why i do not want to buy them is because, they do not have a viewfinder. i need a viewfinder.

oh er is Nikon J1 good?

Last edited by tayfelix; Dec 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:19 AM   #27

I actually played around with a Nikon J1 in a Target store for half an hour a while back. Nice camera. I played around with the autofocus accuracy and speed and was impressed. And tried to see how much I could play with shallow depth of field. I could see myself having fun with one of these . . .

but . . .

I think the question is . . . do you just want good images, or do you want to learn a bit about photography?

If you are just concerned about good images, then yeah, the Nikon J1 can be a good camera. You can take great pictures. And play around with lots of things . . .

But if you want to really learn about photography, maybe the raw power of a dSLR would be more advantageous. Ability to have full manual control, so that when you know you want to have that particular f-stop or shutter speed you don't have to dive through menus or trick your camera into doing it. Or if you get into off camera flash, you have the hot-shoe to be able to plug in some sort of trigger / cable to get the flash off the camera. Or if you start to explore macro photography, then with a dSLR you can get an actual macro lens. Or the shear speed of the dSLR. (Faster autofocus, minimal trigger delay.)

If you really want to learn photography, a dSLR, although it can be expensive getting all the accessories, is a very versatile system. It has a lot more outs to be able to explore different things.

And I've mentioned it before, it might be possible to get used equipment for a really good price to try it out to see if this is for you.

Canon XTi ~ $150 used. (But limited to iso1600)

Canon 18-135mm lens ~ $200. (Some people don't like superzoom lenses, but if you're only going to have one lens for a while, an 18-135 may let you learn more than an 18-55mm. Maybe explore using focal length to tell your story or play with how depth-of-field changes with focal length, etc.)

Canon 50mm f1.8 ~$125. (Play with a faster lens, or shallow depth-of-field, etc.)

This still leaves open the possibility to get stuff down the road like . . .

Vivitar 285HV (used, I've been able to pick these up for $40 or so. Get a cheap $40 wireless trigger and you can start to explore off camera flash.)

Just a thought.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:29 AM   #28

Saw D3100 not really impressed :/ video isn't up to 30fps. My friend has one. I want to get something new, Quite affordable , good images. I dont need Hot shoe at all as I'm not so professional . Just a entry - midrange camera will do. j1 seems to fit. And even though it's 1 year old , it's quite good and as minor difference with J2. And it's more bang for the buck.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:04 PM   #29

Quote:
And it's more bang for the buck.
It does seem to be a good bang for the buck. And playing with it, I could definitely see myself having a lot of fun with it.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:27 PM   #30

Haha erm. In camera world, no matter how old is the body, what matters is the lens right?