Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:11 PM   #1

Default Need help picking "mom" camera!

My Sony DSC-H3 died on Christmas Eve, so I'm on the search for a new camera. Would like to be under $400, and would consider older used, models if I need to. I'm a major bargain hunter!

Mostly taking pictures of my kids (4, 7, 10 years old) doing everyday activities, youth sports, with some limited nature photography too.

My wants: Portability (not pocket sized though)
Decent zoom
Fairly Fast
Great pictures
Great video would be a plus too

I'm a little intimidated by a DSLR, and not sure I'd really want to haul it around or buy the extra lenses that I'd want.

I've researched some, but get confused quickly! The sony RX100 looks great, but is too expensive. I think the Panasonic FZ150 looks good. Not sure what the difference between megazoom and advanced compact camera's is and what it would mean for me.

Help me if you can!!!! Thanks!
mom2ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:20 AM   #2

I think the FZ-150 might suffice... other than "start-up"- which takes maybe 3 seconds or so- it's a swift performer- good AF performance,good shot to shot times(quicker still with image review off) and good video capture.
The "advanced" compacts generally tend to have slightly larger sensors than their megazoom counterparts- typically 1/1.7" as opposed to 1/2.3"- and as such can yield slightly better image quality- also,as their lenses are generally far shorter in reach,their optics are usually sharper across the frame- though I'd suggest that the FZ-150 has the best superzoom glass out there and I've certainly got no complaints in that area- sharp across the frame at all focal lengths,very little signs of fringing or vignetting.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:31 PM   #3

I know its more than my budget, but would the FZ-200 be substantially better than the 150? Trying to decide if it would be worth the extra $100.
mom2ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:36 AM   #4

If you were to be using the longer focal length frequently,then I'd suggest it probably would be worth the extra. The constant f/2.8 aperture of the FZ-200 will give you more control over depth of field (should you want it),the ability to use faster shutter speeds (all else being equal) or the use of lower iso settings (yielding better IQ).
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote