Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2012, 5:50 PM   #1

Default Still worth getting an Olumpus Pen EPL-1 ?

Going for around just under $300 US these days on the net etc. is it still worth getting one of these for a step up from point and shoot on a budget ? I am looking for a SLR type camera, that will give me great indoor and night time shots.

Thanks.
vxcalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2012, 6:40 PM   #2

The 12MP Olumpus Pen EPL-1 has more noise and less dynamic range than either the 16MP Nikon D5100 or the 16MP Sony A57. But what really matters is the lenses. Since you want to shoot in low light, a large aperture lens would do best. For the m4/3 mount there are no large aperture zoom lenses short of Panasonic's stabilized lenses at $950 and up.

On the other hand, for the Nikon D5100 ($447) there's the stabilized Sigma 17-50/2.8 ($619), or for the Sony A57 ($548) there's the unstabilized (Sonys have IS in the body) Tamron 17-50/2.8 ($424).
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:25 PM   #3

Thanks TCav. What about the E-Pl2 ?
vxcalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcalais View Post
What about the E-Pl2 ?
The E-PL1, E-PL2 and E-PL3 all perform about the same as far as noise and dynamic range are concerned. The E-PL5 is a big improvement, but it's still not as good as the Nikon D5100.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:44 PM   #5

If $300 is your budget then e-pl2 is the way to go. I saw a refurbished one for $225. You can't beat that. My personal choice would be a NEX but that costs more.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:49 PM   #6

Actually there is quite a few large aperture prime lenses out there, f2.8 or better for m4/2. Here are just the AF models lenses. And allot of the ranges are ideal for indoors. like the 14mm to 30mm ranges.

Panny 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 14 2.5
olympus 12 f2, 17 1.8, 45 1.8, 75 1.8, 17 2.8
sigma 30 2.8 and 19 2.8

On the epl1, if money is a concern it is still a good camera. That is the main reason I have not upgraded it. But if you can afford the new epl5 or ep3, that would be the way to go. More advance m4/3 with faster single shot AF system.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:39 AM   #7

True, but those are all primes. And there are as many primes for the D5100 and A57 that perform as well or better, and are cheaper.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:21 AM   #8

While they are a little more expensive, they are all excellent prime lenses. Even the cheapo sigma 2.8 primes are decent.

But the pens are allot smaller then the small dslr, with similar lenses ranges install.

I look at my pens camera bag vs my canon rebel camera bag, and the pen is just so much smaller when pack to the same low light and zoom needs. This is the biggest reason people get camera like pens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Even the cheapo sigma 2.8 primes are decent.
Actually, the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 prime is one of the few mirrorless lenses I'd consider buying. Most of the reast have a lot of field curvature, vignetting and chromatic aberration, due in no small part, I'm sure, to the short flange focal distance inherent in all mirrorless designs.

Mirrorless, anybody's mirrorless, is a cross between a dSLR and a P&S with all the bad stuff and none of the good stuff.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:40 AM   #10

But all that stuff is taken care with the inherent correction of m4/3. So those issues are not a problem. And only the wide 14 2.8 and the 17 2.8 suffer form those problems as they are older design lenses. The newer msc lenses and leica ones are very very good lenses.