Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:05 AM   #1

Default Samsung vs Canon vs Sony ILC?

I have owned a fujifinepix S7000 for years, along with a canon IXUS75 point n shoot and of course my iphone 5. I find I am not using my fuji at all due to its bulkiness. I am not even using my Canon as my iphone 5 takes as good a photo as the canon Ixus 75. So I am thinking of getting rid of both the canon and the fuji and buying a smaller ILC camera. I would like to get into photography again, I really haven't done much in years. I enjoy shooting nature landscapes and love macros, getting in close to shells, plants, bugs etc. So far I like the look of the Samsung NX1000, the Canon EOS M or the Sony Nex (7 is I can afford it but the prices are a bit steep!) Thoughts?
jac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:39 AM   #2

I wonder- given that the S7000 got ditched due to it's size,would the ILC not share the same fate..? All mirrorless ILC's such as the NEX/NX/M/EPL...etc with their lenses attached are not exactly compact- especially if you intend to shoot all you say- as that would require more than one lens...!
I wonder if another "bridge" might suffice for your new found photography "bug"..?
Maybe Panasonic's FZ-200... which could take care of all your photography wishes with its one lens.
If the range of your old S7000 was enough for you maybe consider Nikon's P7700 also.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion SIMON40. I shall go check out the 2 cameras you have mentioned I will be heading to the camera shop this afternoon to look around, pick up and hold a few, have a play with them. It's can be hard to choose something without actually having that hands on to see how they feel.
jac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:15 PM   #4

Indeed- always a good idea to get "touchy feely" with camera's where possible.
How a camera handles and how easy/complex menu navigation is all affects the overall impression of a camera- and ultimately effects speed of operation also.
Have fun playing with a few...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:33 PM   #5

I'd take a good look at the close-up capability of the cameras you've listed if you are concerned about what you call "macro".

A P&S "macro" can be roughly equivalent to 1/2 lifesize in 35mm terms. These ILC's don't normally get anywhere near that without a macro lens or the proper add-on close-up lens.

Even with the micro 4/3's, the macro lenses are relatively big and heavy. And they aren't cheap.

If you have to carry a standard kit lens for landscape/all purpose and a macro lens for close-ups, you're kind of defeating your purpose of an all-in-one.

Landscape and macro of bugs are two distinctly different set-ups with an ILC. The only system I know of that would serve double duty might be the Olympus 12-50 lens mounted on a micro 4/3 body.

Based on a P&S, it's hard to imagine how different it can be to do a macro/close-up with a system camera. It's possible that the P&S is the better option.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:28 PM   #6

ILC you will be carrying are larger system, with more capabilities. Bridge camera are more compact load, with lens limits.

On a olympus that can cover allot of what you want to shoot, any pen body with the 14-150 and a canon 500D conversion lens for the macro. That is my light lens set up. Get excellent macro with the conversion lens. And when not on, the 14-150 gives really good range, being decently wide at 14 and has good reach at 150. And it will give you the ablity to shoot with shallow dof when using the zoom properly.