Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:07 AM   #11

Higher iso, more noise or grain. ISO gives you faster shutter speed to avoid motion blur. but it increase noise. Aps-c has less noice at 1600 and 3200 iso the m4/3. But I rather have a flash used properly and have my iso at 200 even on my dslr.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:16 AM   #12

I got the E-PM1 really cheap as a backup for my DSLR and have been disappointed by its low light performance with the Olympus 17mm prime and the Panasonic 14-42. I am looking at the C-3 as a replacement. Keep in mind, however, that the NEX does not have in-body stabilization like the PEN, making slow shutter speeds to get lower ISOs problematic. Good luck.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:28 AM   #13

what are you trying to shoot with the 17 2.8 and what iso are you shooting with your emp1 that have disappointed you. I am presuming you are doing non flash for your low light stuff.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 4, 2013 at 6:44 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcalais View Post
Thanks Shoturtle and others......i learn something everyday hehe.......now i understand why my P&S gives me shadows on faces etc with the flash.

I also assumed that the ISO would compensate for needing a flash indoors so i could reduce the shadows on faces etc
It does that because there isn't a diffuser on the flash. Try taping some tissue paper onto it and see what happens. This should diffuse the light more.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krichton View Post
It does that because there isn't a diffuser on the flash. Try taping some tissue paper onto it and see what happens. This should diffuse the light more.
Wow, i will definately give that a shot........

It's diaapointing that with all their power and knowledge, the Olympus Pen Cams are so poor in low light, given that most people upgrading to them are P&S owners using their cams majority of the time on family trips, indoor functions, schools, parties, pics of their babies and kids growing up, all of them not the best for natural light, and they havent learn't even though the camera the range has been around for so long.

The Irony is, if i get an Olympus Pen to upgrade from a Panasonic P&S then i also need to then go back and get a Panasonic Lens to make the Olympus Pen shoot ideal pics in low light.

I know the Pen's with blah blah blah can take good low light pics, but why so tricky for the average Joe, who is the prime market for that camera ?
vxcalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Higher iso, more noise or grain. ISO gives you faster shutter speed to avoid motion blur. but it increase noise. Aps-c has less noice at 1600 and 3200 iso the m4/3. But I rather have a flash used properly and have my iso at 200 even on my dslr.
But will the Pen series with adequate flash and low iso match the Nex series ? At this stage the Pen series is still an option as they are available at a lower price and larger range over the Nex which are dearer, but i know the Nex will do better for what i want.

So E-Pm1 , Nex c3 or F3 in my sights, whichever i can get the best price on.

Last edited by vxcalais; Jan 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:16 PM   #17

I'm replying to be fair to the E-PM1. Franky, I think my expectations were too high. Looking at low light comparisons in reviews is not the same as shooting in real low light environments. Below is the kind of venues I shoot. Small intimate clubs with mixed low light. I was hoping that I might be able to replace my DSLR with this less obtrusive camera. This shot is at ISO 3200 at 1/200 with manual white balance (white balance is definitely one of the weaker features of the E-PM1). It certainly isn't terrible and beats a point and shoot hands down. I didn't expect noise reduction to take away so many details. I can shoot at a lower shutter speed and use a lot of fps, but that is just so hit and miss. This club had really bad lighting, so I suppose I shouldn't complain. I have since discovered that the Olympus 17mm f2.8 has a reputation for softness at the edges and you certainly can see it in this shot. Another lens might give much better results. I got the camera and the lens in like new condition for $225, so I have no complaints in giving it a shot. I haven't decided whether the camera is worth putting money into a higher level lens.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:31 PM   #18

Thanks for the post. Upgrading is harder than i thought hehe.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:22 AM   #19

So do i go a Sony Nex f3 with single lens, or a C3 with the 2 kit lenses, case and spare battery, or for the same price the newer F3 with single lens and brand new. The flip up screen on the F3 doesn't seem too bad.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcalais View Post
But will the Pen series with adequate flash and low iso match the Nex series ? At this stage the Pen series is still an option as they are available at a lower price and larger range over the Nex which are dearer, but i know the Nex will do better for what i want.

So E-Pm1 , Nex c3 or F3 in my sights, whichever i can get the best price on.
Yes, the flash is a great equalizer. Actually flash deploy right makes for a way better photo then high iso. While full frame dslr are fantastic now a days at super high ISO. Wedding photos still spend a ton of money on flash equipment to capture those special monuments that pays the bills. Because they get money paying results with pro full frame camera, lenses and flash.

I shoot a lot of night club swing dancing and the flash is what gets me the great photos that pop.