Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:37 PM   #1

Default Worth buying Sony NEX-c3 with kit lenses over E-pm1 ?

I can get either camera for a good price and want to use to family shots, indoor and out, and for family trips every now and then. Sony takes better indoor pics vs Pen-epm1 and screen is easier to view, but the Olympus is more expandable via available lenses etc ?

Looking forward to your advice. I am upgrading from a Lumix Zs7.
vxcalais is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:45 PM   #2

Depends on what you take. The native lenses might be suitable for some, and not for others. The lenses are growing for the nex. But they are also larger in size the the m4/3 eq. Not a fan of the 16 2.8 great fl for indoor shooting with apsc, but that lens is very soft. And I would prefer f2 or better.

But for out door low light the 35 1.8 is a very good lens with the nex. Really good combo.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:51 PM   #3

Really hard choice will reviews and sensor size low light for nex but so much info and so on for pen even but poorer low light indoor. Coming off p & s lumix zs7 poor facial shots low light with flash, nex attracts me for low light portrait no flash.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:02 PM   #4

Then pens are decent and depending on you skill and lens. They produce good low light photos. The new pens produce better low light photo then my epl1.

These were taken with my epl1 with the Panasonic 20 1.7 or the not well suite for low light zoom 45-200 with a small aperture but got good results as I took advantage of the stage lighting.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...-thailand.html
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Then pens are decent and depending on you skill and lens. They produce good low light photos. The new pens produce better low light photo then my epl1.

These were taken with my epl1 with the Panasonic 20 1.7 or the not well suite for low light zoom 45-200 with a small aperture but got good results as I took advantage of the stage lighting.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...-thailand.html
But out of box are they better than nex ? How hard is it. It seems nex is easier? My heart is for pen as I wanted 1 for years, but low light concerns me and the nex c3 seems easier with standard stuff. The zs7 gave poor shadows over face with flash. The least I can use flash and use good quality ISO. If pen e pm1 can give me that I can sway back.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:14 PM   #6

Both cameras a good for what they are designed for. But, like anything else in life, there is no perfect solution. Each have their pros and cons.

Buy the camera that has the best performance in those situations that are most
important to you. If low light performance without flash is the major reason you want to upgrade from a P&S then get the Sony NEX-3.

The Olympus EPM1 is a good camera but it does not have superior low light performance vs the Sony NEX-3.

As for the Olympus' having a wider lens selection. I wouldn't put to too much emphasis on that. Granted, it is true, but the average user of these types of camera doesn't buy any additional lens because of cost.

I own an Olympus EP-2. I have approximately 8 different lenses for it. But, I know it's strengths and shooting in low light is not one of them.
At least not without making a lot of adjustments and using the proper lenses.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: clarification
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcalais View Post
Really hard choice will reviews and sensor size low light for nex but so much info and so on for pen even but poorer low light indoor. Coming off p & s lumix zs7 poor facial shots low light with flash, nex attracts me for low light portrait no flash.
Why would you want to take portraits without a flash and in low light? You always need proper lighting to get a good portrait otherwise it's not going to come out right.
Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:44 AM   #8

I can tell you the the epl1 with the 20mm or the 14-42 does not have the issue with shadows when using the built in flash. Most of the time when shadow accrue with the uses of the flash, is because the lens obstruct the light form the flash. As the flash is to close to lens, and this also cause red eye conditions. With my point and shoot, they put the flash so close to the lens, when I zoom out I do notice shadow on the photo cause by the lens. But that is something I have to live with when using a compact camera. There is no way to get separation form the lens and flash.

The em1 is a mark improvement on what you have, it is a mark improvement on the ep2, which is the same as the ep1, the first gen pens. But out the box, without deploying the flash, it is not as good as the nex in low light.

If you are after low light and shoot mainly the nex is the better system with the kit lens. And while the 16 2.8 is a soft lens, it is a very good range for shooting indoor photos. It is the only prime I can think of that gives aps-c cameras a prime 24mm eq in range.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krichton View Post
Why would you want to take portraits without a flash and in low light? You always need proper lighting to get a good portrait otherwise it's not going to come out right.
Very true, with my epl1, I actually use a metz 44 flash over the built in one, as it puts out way more light and can bounce flash better when taking portraits. 1600-3200iso is not what I want to take portraits at. I use the built in flash to control the metz for off camera flash control. The max I would used is 200-400iso and have the flash provide the light.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:44 AM   #10

Thanks Shoturtle and others......i learn something everyday hehe.......now i understand why my P&S gives me shadows on faces etc with the flash.

I also assumed that the ISO would compensate for needing a flash indoors so i could reduce the shadows on faces etc