Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1

Default Mirrorless/Dslr mainly for Video

Hi, I've been looking for a camera for the past month or so for recording short films and videos. but there are so many options out there and not many reviews comparing video quality.

This would be my first "proper" camera and I want to get started on the right track.

I really like the look of the Canon 650d as it can do 1080p at 24 fps, 720p at 60 fps, good low light performance and has manual audio control, but the size worries me.

Maybe the Eos M would be a better option due to its smaller size, but then I really like the look of the sony Nex Cameras.

My budget is around 600 but I would go higher if needed.

any help with be greatly appreciated
Boole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2

If your main purpose is video, why are you looking at a DSLR instead of a video recorder? A DSLR allows for better shallow DOF but the focus systems are still rather poor compared to a dedicated video recorder.

These you-tube videos might be of help:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41473750
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
If your main purpose is video, why are you looking at a DSLR instead of a video recorder? A DSLR allows for better shallow DOF but the focus systems are still rather poor compared to a dedicated video recorder.

These you-tube videos might be of help:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41473750

I was originally looking for a camcorder but after reading countless reviews It seems like a camcorder wont give that "Movie" feel and I don't really mind manual focusing. Thanks for the link though, a lot of useful information.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:59 PM   #4

The panasonic GH are great for movies, and it is s easier system to shoot movies with. And panny lenses are geared toward video with auto zoom and the AF system is better for video.

The DSLR like the 5D are good but needs allot more manual imput and you can get some great video, but it takes allot of skill to do it. I have a friend that shoot video for NBC, and he uses canon dslr. But he has all the equipment and software at his disposal to make that great video experience.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The panasonic GH are great for movies, and it is s easier system to shoot movies with. And panny lenses are geared toward video with auto zoom and the AF system is better for video.

The DSLR like the 5D are good but needs allot more manual imput and you can get some great video, but it takes allot of skill to do it. I have a friend that shoot video for NBC, and he uses canon dslr. But he has all the equipment and software at his disposal to make that great video experience.
I've was looking at the Panasonic GH1/GH2 but they seems quite expensive unless I get one from Ebay.. I keep coming back to the Eos M or possibly Nex 5R which are a little bit more desecrate for filming outdoors.

But I know the Eos M needs a firmware update which might not actually improve anything when it gets here and the Nex 5R has no external mic port. plus the little Mirrorless cameras dont tend to have view finders..

Soo. I'm totally lost.. just seems to be no clear winner
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:44 AM   #6

If you want the movie feel, you will need an external mic. All those features are important, that is while high end video cameras are so expensive. The only cameras that has those video abilities are going to be expensive.

If you really want to get seriousness movie feel, af is not important. My friend said they lock focus for search shot. And then retake the same shot when they refocus. Then edit in post to make them flow that is why the 5d canon dslr is so popular for video pros. It give great image quality with that big sensor.

You can look at the newer Olympus pens with the external mic. Not as expensive as the gh camera, a bit less features. But not to bad for video. Not canon of Panasonic for video, but respectable. Couple of movies had scenes shot with them because they are so compact. If I remember secretariat had scenes shot with the pens, the close up racing scenes.