Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:49 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ200 vs. Nikon P510

Which would you pick - and why? I bought the Nikon - but am very tempted to return and get the FZ200 - would love some opinions.
Thanks!
TeamO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:48 AM   #2

If I was after a whopping zoom(say for birding),I'd probably go for Canon's SX50hs.
If I was shooting moving subjects I'd go with the Panasonic FZ200,due to its fast AF and fast aperture lens.
Is there something that's troubling you with the Nikon...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:20 AM   #3

Is there something that's troubling you with the Nikon...?
Yes - the fast moving subjects (AKA - my children) - I always seem to get blurry pics - maybe I just need a crash course in settings on the camera for the Nikon. I have to return the NIKON by tomorrow if I'm going to.....and I missed the FZ200 when it was $499 - now I think it's up to $549 - either way - I need to either return the Nikon by tomorrow.
TeamO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4

With speedy subjects you need fast AF and fast shutter speeds- and the Panasonic is strong in the AF area. Fast shutter speeds can,of course,be selected by the Nikon- though not much use if the AF is struggling to keep up. The Panasonic's f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range also enables the use of lower iso settings(all else being equal) which will yield crisper/cleaner shots.
Before junking the Nikon however, try these settings-
Shutter Priority,1/500th sec shutter speed, auto iso,center area AF(make sure the subject stays in the middle..!) and try center weighted metering or Multi.
The P510 also has tracking focus- though I don't know how effective that might be..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:39 AM   #5

learning to speed up your shutter speed is a big part of non-blurry moving pics. that being said, i loved the fz150, and with a wider aperture, i can't wait to try the fz200. after reading the reviews of the P510, i admit i didn't bother with it. dpreview said it had a "small, poky electronic viewfinder" and "Noise levels increase noticeably at ISO 800 and above". cnet says "trouble focusing at the telephoto end and its low-light/high-ISO photo quality has room for improvement."

and while i always take what they say with a grain of salt, snapsort gives these results when comparing the two cameras
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-P5...umix-DMC-FZ200

using the dpreview studio comparison tool, at ISO 100 the fz200 sweeps the floor with the P510.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/stud...000267&x=0&y=0

and if you change the dropdown to ISO 1600, the panasonic pics look much better. try both and click around the pic to compare.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:22 PM   #6

Very peculiar because if you go to this site

http://www.2cameraguys.com/camera-image-compare.cfm

overall the P510 appears to be better.

The only problem that I have with my P510 is that sometimes colours may not look as vibrant as they should, other than that it is an excellent and versatile camera.

Last edited by Yabixi; Jan 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM.
Yabixi is offline   Reply With Quote