Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:45 PM   #1

Default Best inexpensive camera for dermatology use

Hello,

My dad needs to get a camera to take dermatology pictures (like skin lesions, etc.) since his current point and shoot is really not working for him. I have a Kodak easy share Z981 that I use for taking close ups of jewelry and thought that would be an option since I can get really close and the macro is great (wide-angle 26x zoom lens), however when testing on myself taking a picture of a mole it really didn't work that great. It's very hard to make it focus on the spot and it took me numerous times to be able to get a decent picture.

Can anyone recommend a very inexpensive camera for the purpose? It doesn't need to be that compact since it will always be in the exam room. Pictures will always be taken indoors in a clinic room, with artificial light (sometimes low light). Needs to be able to get really close and get pictures of very small spots (even less than 5mm). He doesn't mind if he needs to get a used camera if that will get him something better for the same money (budget around $250).

Thanks in advance!
scallau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:26 AM   #2

I'd take a look at the Panasonic LX5. It should do quite well in lower light and Panasonic usually has a very good macro mode. My old FZ28 mimics 1:1 in a 35mm full frame.

Amazon Warehouse has some right now for @$227, if you're in the US.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:19 PM   #3

Thanks for replying. I found an older thread asking basically for the same recommendation. They recommended at that time the Canon SD-4000. Given that used I can find them for around the same price would you still go with the Panasonic LX5?

thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:52 PM   #4

I'd consider the LX a premium class compact, more sophisticated and advanced, with a lot of specialized features.

The SD would be more of an all purpose travel zoom type.

The LX5 would be more like a Canon S100, in the "premium" class, with wider apertures and larger sensors. Both would be a benefit in your situation.

The LX would retail for @$500, it's a bargain at $250.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:34 PM   #5

i wouldn't say the SD 4000 is a travel zoom, as it has only a 3.8x zoom but is good in lower light due to its fast lens. the LX5 is a lot more expensive, and while it has a little bit bigger sensor, both the SD 4000 and the LX5 have the same aperture - f/2.0.

i find the SD 4000 is a snappy camera and when we played with it in indoor settings like restaurants, we were very happy with the results. i also did a few macros, and was also happy with the results - happier than with a lot of other cameras we've owned.

btw, both cameras will do best for your dad (or anyone else) if they know a little about camera settings.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:57 AM   #6

Thanks to both of you for your comments