Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:29 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS 600D/650D (as an example) vs Casio EXFH 100 (A Digital Camera)

Okay,

I'm thinking of getting an SLR. At the moment I own a Casio EX FH100. I've been recommend several cameras such as a Canon EOS 600D.

This might seem like a ridiculous question but

1) how do I know my pictures will actually look better on the Canon EOS 600D. Total noob to photography clearly

2) Also what will buying an addition lens do for my photos

3) How long does it take to learn how to use these cameras in order to maximise its capabilities

I will be buying the camera for a trip to the Caribbean next year.

I would really appreciate your help
Tippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:39 PM   #2

There are a couple things you'll notice right away:
1) Start-up time will be quicker
2) shutter-lag: the time from when you press the shutter button until the time the photo is taken will be shorter in-general
3) pictures at higher ISO will appear less grainy

On the negative side you'll notice that the amount of subjects in a given photo that are in-focus will be less. If you take the same photo, framed the same way with your old camera and the 650d you'll see that more of the 650d photo is out-of-focus. what should be in-focus is what the focus point(s) were on but things in the background will be less in-focus. This is desirable to many people but not all.

4) if you use the "sports" mode on the new camera it will do a dramatically better job than your current camera - at least within the limits of your lens and distance to subject. By that I mean you can't expect to use a 55mm lens and track a kid playing soccer 40 yards away and expect great shots.

After that, the differences are more of potential improvement. You have the ability to attach an external ETTL flash - which provides a quantum improvement in flash shots vs the built-in flash of ANY camera.
You have the ability to use different lenses which are specialized and thus produce better results than a built-in lens or kit lens. For example if you like taking photos of birds you could use a 400mm f5.6 lens.

The challenge becomes: do you want to buy those other lenses as you determine what you need? And, very significantly - are you OK with the added bulk a DSLR requires? I've shot with DSLRs for years. But several friends and family members have tried and gone back to using digicams and/or cell phones because those are with them and they never wanted to carry around the bulk of a DSLR.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:45 PM   #3

Here is an example of 2 of the benefits a DSLR provides - all in the same shot. First, notice how the background is blurred out here? That's what I was referring to above - in this case a very extreme amount - a kit lens won't produce this result but you can get lenses that do. Secondly, this shot was taken at ISO 6400. Try that type of ISO with your current camera! Now, to be fair this shot was taken with a 5dIII - the camera you're considering doesn't have noise performance this good but still much better than your current camera.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:14 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies much appreciated
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Here is an example of 2 of the benefits a DSLR provides - all in the same shot. First, notice how the background is blurred out here? That's what I was referring to above - in this case a very extreme amount - a kit lens won't produce this result but you can get lenses that do. Secondly, this shot was taken at ISO 6400. Try that type of ISO with your current camera! Now, to be fair this shot was taken with a 5dIII - the camera you're considering doesn't have noise performance this good but still much better than your current camera.
What do you mean by lens kit wont produce this result? Do you mean if I buy the camera just as it is?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:08 PM   #6

What the kit lens won't do as well is blur the background as much as you see in this photo. There are objects in the room (which would be visible above her head - but because of the particular lens used they are blurred out).
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7

some DSLRs have pretty decent auto modes. the most important thing i learned when i was starting out was how to shoot so i could change the shutter speed.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote