Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:39 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muizen View Post
Hello Ramcewan,
Thank you again for your very useful observations and advise!
Could you recommend some fast zoom lenses for the Em5 too?
I like to use zooms to avoid the need for carrying around too many lenses.
Thanks
Harry
Right now there are only two fast zooms for the EM5; The Panasonic Lumix X 12-35mm and 35-100mm both with constant f2.8 max aperture.

Both are receiving very good reviews. I have heard from more than one professional event photographer that the two lenses and the EM-5 is the only kit they need. Being Panasonic lenses they both have OIS. It's also worth noting that they both are dust and splash proof like the EM5.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...189/index.html

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...983/index.html

Right now the longer zooms are all somewhat slow (5.6 @ 300mm ) but Panasonic has promised a 150mm f2.8 prime and Olympus is rumored to be building a 40-150mm f2.8
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:56 AM   #22

Ramcewan:
Your advise really is excellent and makes me have a closer look at the Em5. I feel that a coverage of, in 35mm terms, of 24 through 200mm is sufficient for most of my shooting.
I could begin with the Lumix 12-35mm and wait for the 40-150mm!
Thanks again!
Best regards,
Harry
Muizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:40 PM   #23

The two Panasonic lenses that ramcewan mentioned are both stabilized, which would be redundant on an Olympus body. For the most part,Olympus lenses are about as good as Panasonic lenses, and they're cheaper.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The two Panasonic lenses that ramcewan mentioned are both stabilized, which would be redundant on an Olympus body. For the most part,Olympus lenses are about as good as Panasonic lenses, and they're cheaper.
Generally, yes, in this case however Olympus does not have an equivalent pair of fast zooms.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:49 AM   #25

Default Top quality zooms on the Em5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Generally, yes, in this case however Olympus does not have an equivalent pair of fast zooms.
If no fast zooms exist for using on the Em5 that are equal or better than those of Panasonic's, would it an option to use the Panasonic Lumix X 12-35mm and 35-100mm, both with constant f2.8 (!!) max aperture zooms with AS, that Racewan proposed?
This assuming that it is possible to disconnect the AS on these lenses?
Coming from Leica lenses I want to select the best zoom lenses possible on the Em5.
Harry
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:01 AM   #26

Default Hand shake increased by manual focusing the M9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I understand very clearly why the Op posed his question. And I also understand that his lenses are fine. On that , we agree.
The reason I suggested the possibility of trying an AF lens i.e. the 45mm f1.8 is to double check and see if manually focusing his existing lenses might not be part of his issue.

A reasonable suggestion to make in my view.
Zig
Hello Zig,
I have been thinking about your idea that manual focus on the M9 could be the main reason for my hand shake problem.
I tend to agree with this because focusing on the M9 is certainly not very easy!
AF will make shooting easier for me!
Thank you for your advise!
Harry
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:16 AM   #27

Harry,
I'm glad you agree.

Being someone who grew up in the in the 40's my eyesight isn't quite what it used to be. Add a healthy dose of Parkinson's Disease to the mix and photography, for me, can be somewhat challenging. That's why I pretty much am limited to a monopod or tripod whenever I shoot.

You initially said that the shake was the problem, but since I knew that the M9 was a manual focus rangefinder, albeit a damn good one, where's there's a little shake there is also a potential for what I call tired eyes.

Therein lies the suggestion for an AF lens.

I will point out to that the EVF on the OMD5 (E-M5) is very bright and when you focus a manual lens, once you achieve focus, it will almost 'glow" and have a very crisp effect.

My suggestion still is to try an E-M5 with an equivalent AF Olympus lens and see how you it goes. All the while, you can continue to keep the rest of your favorite Leicas and see how easy/difficult/consistent it is to focus them.

Lood luck in whatever you decide.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muizen View Post
If no fast zooms exist for using on the Em5 that are equal or better than those of Panasonic's, would it an option to use the Panasonic Lumix X 12-35mm and 35-100mm, both with constant f2.8 (!!) max aperture zooms with AS, that Racewan proposed?
This assuming that it is possible to disconnect the AS on these lenses?
Coming from Leica lenses I want to select the best zoom lenses possible on the Em5.
Harry
Yes the EM5 will work with any Panasonic micro four thirds lens, micro four thirds (MFT) is a standard that they both use allowing the lenses to be interchangeable between the two brands of cameras, with full functionality.

As I understand it the EM5 has the ability to know the lens has Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) on and turn off it's own sensor based stabilization. Panasonic gives you a switch on the lens to turn the OIS on or off. In some cases OIS might work better but it will drain your batteries faster in my experience. Basically you can turn off the OIS on the lens and use the sensor based of the EM5 and if you decide to turn the OIS on the EM5 will know and turn the sensor based stabilization off.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 3:09 PM   #29

The other downside to the E-PL5 is that it only has 2-axis sensor shift stabilization, only the OM-D EM-5 has the 5-axis sensor shift stabilization.

cara membuat email
tarwiyah is offline   Reply With Quote